On research 'representativeness' Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] LAUNCH of INTERNET GOVERNANCE PROJECT

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Jul 20 10:19:17 BST 2004

Hi all,

Le mardi, 20 juil 2004, à 04:30 Europe/Paris, Milton Mueller a écrit :

[...]
> Bottom line: If the research we produce is considered by
> others to be unrepresentative of South
> perspectives or other perspectives, then
> educate us - criticize it and reject it. Or, better yet,
> form a group that can do it better. IGP enjoys no
> special monopoly on the topic and anyone else can set up
> something similar. Thus, while longer term we do
> intend to expand if possible, I would have to reject
> the implication that no university can publish or do
> research on Internet governance unless it first
> sets up an apparatus of global representation
> (the representativeness of which could always be
> contested anyway).

Let me add that I've been quite amazed to read the comments after the
announcement of this IG project: it has clearly been presented as a
scientific research project, and since when scientific research should
be considered or assessed against such criteria as 'representativeness'
? There are many other criteria, scientific and non scientific (though
still relevant, like who's funding the research, the researchers'
perpectives, their personal positions, etc.), which do apply for such
assessment. But I never heard of (and would never accept, as both a
scientific researcher and an activist) something called 'representative
research'. This would be nothing but a fake, and a very dangerous one.
Almost as dangerous as a so-called 'civil society representativeness'
:-)
Although I have absolutely nothing against wearing both research and
activism hats - specially since this is also my own case - I feel very
concerned about what seems to be a totally inappropriate mix ('mélange
des genres', in French).

What would be relevant, and very useful, however, is to keep track of
different research projets on this issue, to exchange information,
etc., and this list could be one of the means used for that. Although a
formal collaboration and exchange process would indeed require funding,
such a loose network and/or database of resources (existing projects,
people working on IG, papers, reports, study data and results,
comments, criticisms, etc.) may be started at very marginal costs.
Moreover, as a researcher working on IG issues in France (with other
colleagues), I would be pleased to contribute to the definition and set
up of such a - multilingual - database, and provide tools for an
ongoing 'electronic colloquium' (starting only from September, I'm
afraid).

I've been glad to learn that this IG project has been launched by our
colleagues in the US, and I would also be pleased to learn of any other
similar project anywhere in the world : the more perspectives we can
show, the richer the research results would be. We could  use all the
opportunities to meet, like international conferences, etc., to discuss
this scientific network setup possibility, if anyone is interested. I
hope that the session on 'Internet Political Governance and Technical
Government' I'm co-organizing during the next 4S/EASST Conference in
Paris (August 25-28, 2004) will provide such an opportunity (see
Session S7 at:
http://www.csi.ensmp.fr/csi/programme_4S/jour/
programme_jour.php?jour=FRI).

Best regards,