On research 'representativeness' Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] LAUNCH of INTERNET GOVERNANCE PROJECT

Michael Gurstein mgurst at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Jul 22 15:48:34 BST 2004

I'm not sure that this is the place to get drawn into this discussion, but
anyway...

Contra Meryem, the issue in research is not simply "who is funding the
research", but rather in many cases it is "who is funded to do the research"
(and here I am deliberately excluding from this discussion the IGP research
group, several of whom I know and for whom I have the highest personal and
professional regard).

The issue of research bias certainly in the social sciences is not usually
as overt as funders defining research agendas, rather it comes in through
funders funding certain researchers with known or anticipated perspectives
or, more significantly, the absence of funding for researchers with
divergent perspectives or who simply don't appear on the research funding
radar or whose personal circumstance (e.g. where they live) precludes their
obtaining funding for undertaking certain types of research and in that I
would include most researchers from LDC's, from non-elite institutions and
so on.

So the question of "context" and its significance for research is less that
of casting aspersions on specific research or researchers and more one of
identifying which (research) voices are being heard and more particularly in
this way identifying which (research) voices are not being heard. (And this
is of even greater significance in research with specific policy impact
since one would expect (and hope) there to be a wide diversity of
perspectives and where the ABSENCE of funding in practice acts as a basis
for bias and may in turn have profound policy significance.)

It should also be pointed out that in certain areas (and I would argue in
those areas of particular interest to Civil Society), it is more or less
impossible to do useful and meaningful research without including the
research "subjects" as significant partners in the conduct of the research.

In my own area, Community Informatics, where the objective is not simply
studying how things are with the community applications of ICTs, but also in
making a useful contribution through applying this knowledge to further
enhancing and enabling these applications, the research "subjects" are
necessary partners and contributors to the research. Without their active
participation, the research/application/research cycle is incomplete.

Thus the issue is not "formal" representativeness but rather meaningful and
inclusive partnerships with those with a stake in the conduct, outcome, and
application of the research.

Michael Gurstein