[WSIS CS-Plenary] An Arab Caucus

INFO info at virtualactivism.net
Tue Jun 8 09:38:31 BST 2004

Thank you so much for your support. Indeed, the Arab presence was
exceptionally weak unlike any other conference, and I had been going around
in Geneva and before looking for my Arab mates. I never took the initiative
to form a formal caucus for many reasons, but frankly I think it is so
necessary after what I saw at Geneva. And just so everyone knows, even
though I heard so many discussions about language problems etc., there was
no Arabic tranlsation which excluded the two or three Arabic-only speaking
people I knew who attended. It shoudl be noted that Arabic is a formal UN
language.

I know that now there is beginning to be interest and I am very optimistic
about it, and I had been working to generate interest since that time.
Hopefully with the series of meetings I will be organizing, the Arab Caucus
will be off to a good start. And Barmaki you are absolutely correct in
saying that we were all busy with the war and problems in the Middle East.
Please refer to my short article on the issue "Absence of Arab Civil Society
at WSIS" http://www.mengos.net/articles/o4/summitenglish.htm and also to the
page I am working on towards WSIS II:
http://www.mengos.net/technews/wsis-special/wsis-main.htm I have also
translated into Arabic some of the materials that the different caucuses
have been passing around, and you may see for instance the translation of
the position papers on Internet governance by the Press organizations at :
http://www.mengos.net/technews/wsis-special/governancepositionpapgerA.htm I
also looked for UNESCO's translation but found none and am translating that
as well.

In any case, all suggestions are welcome.

I only ask all of you to please tell anyone you know who may be interested
to join the Caucus and help strengthen it. Right now, I have Henrich Boell
Foundation supporting the one-day event in Cairo and then the following
September events in Jordan [the latter will include many from several other
Arab countries including Palestine, Lebanon, etc].

So... thank you all.
Marlyn Tadros