[WSIS CS-Plenary] telecenter / Public access points working group/multi-stakeholder caucus

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE lachapelle at openwsis.org
Wed Jun 23 18:16:58 BST 2004

Dear all,

A sub-theme in the WSIS Action Plan  identified in the list
of summit themes is "Public access points in places
accessible to the public".

Civil society is involved in setting up most of these access
points, often in cooperation with other actors : some
governments (like France or Canada), Intergovernmental
organizations (like Unesco, Francophonie and others I may
not know about) and private sector entities (hardware
manufacturers, software developers, both proprietary and
open source).

If Civil Society takes the initiative of a dedicated group
on Public Access Points, it would very easily form the core
of a more multi-constituency interest group, inviting other
interested actors to discuss such issues and co-organize a
WSIS Thematic Meeting on that issue.

I, for one, would be very glad to join such a CS working
group on Public Access Points and would be happy to help it
use the functionalities of wsis-online.

Best

Bertrand