[WSIS CS-Plenary] update on CS emergency plenary

Andy Carvin ACarvin at edc.org
Fri Jun 25 14:09:14 BST 2004

Following the suspension of the plenary session, civil society delegates
met in the Didon Theatre to try to solve the impasse that had been reached
over the human rights caucus statement. Saida Agrebi of Tunisia said the
statement should say that all participating countries respect human rights
rather than singling out Tunisia, and emphasized the need for an African to
represent the caucus during the plenary. Other Tunisians concurred, with
many of them dominating the first half of the discussion.

Ambassador Karklins, president of the Prepcom,  then arrived and asked the
group to resolve its differences. ?We will give 15 minutes speaking time
for NGOs. We cannot intervene in the decisionmaking process of NGOs, and we
can give you time to sort out your internal questions, and I would ask
Renate [Bloem] as your coordinator to give me a list of speakers at
12:40pm. The list should contain name, organization they represent, and
speakers for their part should follow closely the rules of procedure? So
therefore I will be very attentively following your intervention? and if I
see that rules of procedure aren?t [followed] ? I will intervene.?

Several speakers then noted that there is ?extreme mistrust? between
certain elements within the civil society family in terms of their position
regarding the Tunisian government and human rights, and that it may be
necessary to present both views, given them each time during the plenary
speaking slot.  Others suggested that the divide that exists within civil
society should be acknowledged in the plenary for the sake of openness.

Rikke Frank Joergensen, co-chair of the human rights caucus, defended the
process to date. ?We followed the procedure that we?ve followed from the
first phase of the summit,? she noted. She said that issues were discussed
in yesterday?s civil society plenary, then people were invited to stay
afterwards to help draft language.  ?The drafting group then decided on
four speakers? including two African speakers, one on economic development
and a woman from Tunisia on human rights.? Regarding the statement, she
said it is consistent with statements the caucus had released in the past,
and there is precedent to note any human rights issues in the host country,
as had been the case in Geneva when there were problems with certain groups
being allowed to speak and protest.

In the end, it appeared to be decided that there would be one speaker, a
woman from Africa,  who would leave out the language singling out Tunisia.
There was no actual vote; while one was attempted, the Tunisian delegation
overwhelmed the room with shouting and clapping. Additionally, the attempt
at a vote was conducted without translation into English, which meant many
delegates were unable to participate.

As delegates left the room, a number of shouting matches broke out. The
representative from the Tunisian Human Rights League called the apparent
decision ?a scandal,? with others shouting their opinion back and forth.

But the question still remains open; when civil society representatives
spoke during the late morning plenary, just before lunch, the human rights
caucus did not present their remarks, because it was clear that no
democratic consensus had been reached on the issue. They will continue the
debate later today, and hopefully strike some kind of agreement so they may
present first thing tomorrow morning during the plenary session.

Andy Carvin
Program Director
EDC Center for Media & Community
acarvin @ edc . org