[WSIS CS-Plenary] update on CS emergency plenary

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Fri Jun 25 15:02:17 BST 2004

Upon reading Andy's latest dispatch - I must say that it's quite
disappointing to hear what happened, but not unexpected.

My earlier visit to Tunis in March, and comments made to this list
and to many of you in private did indicate that we needed to have a
tight process in place, with set structures to avoid something along
the line which happened earlier today.

in essence, what's clear is that the Tunis phase is in fact quite
different - with different players, that act in ways very different
then in phase I (Geneva). What we can't be is Naive. We have to, we
must not allow something like this to happen again - for it would be
shame that  all our hard work, all of our energy, time and gains be
lost by those who have as their agenda one to - basically - be
disruptive.

Signs that disruptive behavior from certain Tunisian representatives
occurred at the recent meeting of the European WSIS CS group in
Berlin (June 13th), something which should have alerted us to act and
implement proactive measures before the PrepCom.

Measures such as collecting background information (name, country and
name of accredited organization) from the participants well ahead of
- yes, our meeting - would have alerted us to the possibility that
there would be differences of opinion that had to be dealt with.  We
should have consulted and obtained advice from colleagues who have
participated in other UN processes where this happens all the time,
for perhaps - they could have told us how, if at all, disruptive
behaviour can be contained as much as possible.

To think that - no disruption - was going to happen , was a naive
view. So let's be positive, let's have the discussion we should have
had MONTHS ago on how we can be more proactive, more effective, and
more realistic that from this point on we have a new set of people to
deal with.

personally,  More than ever, i believe we need an effective , and yes
- neutral coordinating body , like the CS bureau, to help facilitate
discussions,  and create the dialogue between  - the differently
minded groups which exist.

those are my comments for now - keen to hear from the rest of you.

regards

Robert

--
###