[WSIS CS-Plenary] paralysis in civil society meeting

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Fri Jun 25 21:15:01 BST 2004

Andy:

thanks for this - sigh! looks like the # of tunsians in the CS
discussions has changed from the usual 25% to 75%.

If indeed the next prepcom will be in Geneva - we must make sure that
our structures, procedures, facilitation and conflict resolution
abilities are much improved.

What the Tunisian's don't seem to realize is that  by their actions -
the so called Paralysis - that Freedom of expression and diversity of
views are rights not common place in Tunisia. For if the WSIS Civil
Society is treated so - how must the local "real" civil society be
treated? Again, something to think about.

The opportunity existed for Tunisia to prove it's claims that it is
in fact  a democracy, open to dissenting views and respectful of
norms of procedure, and capable of hosting all the stakeholders
involved in the WSIS. However, but it did no such thing.

Let's not forget that all this (and far worse) has been reported for
years  in reports by Amnesty International Human Rights Watch,  OMCT,
and others.

So we should be cautious - paralysis is what's occuring inside the
confines of the conference centre, an area covered by a UN/Host
country agreement. let's  start thinking about what  very likely will
occur when CS "protestors" come to the country for the summit in Nov.
it won't be pretty . I would suggest an idea that came up at the CS
meeting in Berlin - let's  form a CS planning committee which works
on logistical and other arrangements to help CS be as ready and
prepared as possible for the meetings ahead.

The said working/group committee would only deal with issues related
to coordination and logistics to make sure that CS basic needs are
through of, planned and ready for meetings to come. For example, it
could  make sure our IT needs are taken care of, so that we can
inform the our collegues around the world who can virtually
participate.

comments?

regards

Robert