[WSIS CS-Plenary] Evidence of infringement of Human Rights at PrepCom1

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Fri Jun 25 22:17:18 BST 2004

wow!

I guess the Tunisians couldn't have done it better - they proved by
their actions that tunisia isn't an appropriate place for a summit.

I feel bad for all of you there -who went there with good, honest
intentions , to do work, only to be harassed and assaulted. To come
all the way, certain people at great expense - is a tragedy.
Frightening indeed.

In terms of the summit - t2005 with it's meetings on MDG+5 and next
WTO round will be full enough as it is... I do hope it gets  moved to
another venue and/or another date.

Will be thinking of you all - May the hours you have left in - like
minded - spaces be productive.

regards

Robert

>1. The tunisian human rights league web site (www.ltdh.org) is not
>accessible anymore from the PrepCom venue.
>2. The tunisian organizing committee issued at least 20-30 new badges
>today (registration dealine is long over), and the authorities carried
>these people from Tunis in Buses to the Civil Society content and themes
>meeting this evening.
>3. The CT meeting was completely hijacked by the Tunisian agent
>provocateurs. Wewere deprived our right tospeakfreely,and someofus were
>almost physically attacked. It was a frightening situation.
>
>There is discussion going on among governments right nowtomovethe
>wholesummit to Geneva. All PrepComs will now take place in Geneva.
>
>We have a meeting of like-minded NGOs right now and discuss our
>strategy.
>
>Ralf

###
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>