[WSIS CS-Plenary] "the friends of the president" drafting group

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE lachapelle at openwsis.org
Mon Jun 28 12:49:24 BST 2004

Hi Rik,

You rightly identified this notion of a "friends of the
president group" as an important novation in the process. A.
Samassekou tried something similar in the first phase but
encountered serious difficulties in the PrepCom2, as
governments (in particular GRULAC if I remember well)
considered he had no mandate for doing so and that, as a
result, they had not been able to contribute. So his whole
document was trashed.

Drawing lessons from that painful experience, Janis Karklins
has made sure he is given an explicit mandate this time. But
the question of how Civil society could participate in this
process is not closed. Quite on the contrary.

Indeed, during the joint Bureaus meeting, (to which I
participated on behalf of the Internet Governance Caucus), I
explicitely mentionned to President Karklins this formulation
about a group of "friends of the President".

I also recalled the statement Ralf had read that very morning
in the official plenary, about providing appropriate
mechanisms for civil society to effectively contribute "in a
timely manner" to the drafting of whatever Political
Declaration could be planned for Tunis and our willingness to
be involved. I also recalled that SG Utsumi a few minutes
earlier in his response to a previous question, had wished
the setting up of "appropriate communication channels" with
civil society.

To my surprise, Amb. Karklins went further than I expected,
replying straightforwardly that he could envisage having
civil society and private sector representatives in the group
of friends of the President.

He may have been too bold : although no government made an
explicit remarks at that time, I do not believe they would
accept a joint, multi-stakeholder group to facilitate
drafting.

Nor am I sure this would be in the full interest of civil
society to be merged in one single group. Maybe a separate,
paralel, channel would be better. It has to be evaluated
carefully - and quickly.

But two things are certain in that context :
- the earlier good input channels are established with the
President, the more impact there can be on the architecture
of the final Tunis Declaration itself;
- Amb Karklins is visibly willing to find ways to involve
civil society in more than mere symbolic ways, and this
notion of "friends of the President" is to consider with
great attention.

The second phase is different from the first one : the way
the final document is going to be drafted clearly more
structured.

A priority is therefore to define how we want to be part of
that process and lobby to get support from friendly
governments (as was the case with the EU to solve the
Hammamet CS Crisis)

For the rest, you are right to mention that the Summit
process must take into account not only regional and thematic
events but also "WSIS-related Events". This leaves the
possibility for events organized by civil society to push a
given theme and force it somehow on the Agenda.

This is just preliminary thoughts.

Best

Bertrand