[WSIS CS-Plenary] Draft Roadmap for Second Summit Phase Available

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Mar 6 06:16:39 GMT 2004

Ralf,

Is this  document an exact copy (PDF format of a MS word file?) of an
official document from the Tunis meeting?

Quite important to know please.  Because if it is an exact copy I
think we should be very concerned to see the work of the working
group on Internet governance and the task force reviewing financial
mechanisms as directing their output to "prepcoms".

Regarding Internet governance in particular the intention of the plan
of action is very clear. A report will be developed by an open and
inclusive process. WSIS PrepComs have not been open and inclusive
processes "that ensures a mechanism for the full and active
participation of governments, the private sector and civil society
from both developing and developed countries, involving relevant
intergovernmental and international organizations and forums." To
emphasize this point, at the ITU Workshop on Internet governance last
week, Markus Kummer (the Swiss govt. representative who chaired the
discussion on the Internet governance language in final stages of
negotiation in Geneva before the Summit) stated with some certainty
that some governments did not want this new process under WSIS:

<rtsp://ibs.itu.int/Archives/sg/spu/B-20040226-0930-fl.rm?start=0:10:56&end=0:45:42>
(time12:12)

Here Kummer is describing the final and successful part of the
negotiation (quote) "One decisive proposal was to give a mandate to
the UN Secretary General to set up this working group.  It appeared
that the WSIS format based on its past record would not have
satisfied those who wanted a truly open process with the full and
active participation of private sector and other stakeholders. At the
same time this proposal gave comfort to those who wanted the process
to be within the UN framework."

Perhaps prepcoms might be processes that feed into the new working
group/task force --that would really be up to the Secretary General
and the chair/members of those groups-- but definitely not as shown
in the diagram.

If the diagram is the same as one distributed in Tunis, I suggest we
ask the CS Bureau to object in the strongest terms.

(if it's just a diagram based on Robert's notes, I may have wasted a
lot of words :-)

Many thanks,

Adam

The WSIS Plan of Action says:

We ask the Secretary General of the United Nations to set up a
working group on Internet governance, in an open and inclusive
process that ensures a mechanism for the full and active
participation of governments, the private sector and civil society
from both developing and developed countries, involving relevant
intergovernmental and international organizations and forums, to
investigate and make proposals for action, as appropriate, on the
governance of Internet by 2005. The group should, inter alia:
i.	develop a working definition of Internet governance;
ii.	identify the public policy issues that are relevant to
Internet governance;
iii.	develop a common understanding of the respective roles and
responsibilities of governments, existing intergovernmental and
international organisations and other forums as well as the private
sector and civil society from both developing and developed countries;
iv.	prepare a report on the results of this activity to be
presented for consideration and appropriate action for the second
phase of WSIS in Tunis in 2005.

END

Thanks,

Adam