[WSIS CS-Plenary] Draft Roadmap for Second Summit Phase Available

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Sat Mar 6 14:56:58 GMT 2004

--On Saturday, March 6, 2004 3:16 PM +0900 Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> Is this  document an exact copy (PDF format of a MS word file?) of an
> official document from the Tunis meeting?

Adam:

having attended the Tunis meetimg, ,i can  confirm that it's a
electronic copy of the document handed out at the informal meeting.

It's status as a document is - informal, to help facilitate
discussion,ideas for what type of road map should be adopted at the next
prepcom. Dates for the next prepcom are likely to be april (if you
believe the tunisians) or between end june-july (if you believe the rest)

> Quite important to know please.  Because if it is an exact copy I
> think we should be very concerned to see the work of the working group
> on Internet governance and the task force reviewing financial
> mechanisms as directing their output to "prepcoms".

what i recall from the discussion - the 2 working groups are independent
as they have been setup to report to the secretary general. that being
said, there would be an update on their activities at the prepcoms.

> If the diagram is the same as one distributed in Tunis, I suggest we
> ask the CS Bureau to object in the strongest terms.

many governemts were puzzled by the input mechanism to the prepcoms,
particularly the role of the so called "coordination committee" (the
greek, american, irish among others asked for repeated explainations
from Itsumi), however they did not suggest alternate ways of doing
things.

As the governmental bureau has not been finalized, they have not yet met
- and thus we still have time to suggest changes and/or alternate road
maps.

I would say, that if over the next few weeks (before UN ICT in
NYC/march) we can come up with out with an road map of our own - we
might, possibly - get govts to consider it seriously.

regards

Robert