[WSIS CS-Plenary] Requests/demands for CS participation in Tunis phase

Sasha Costanza-Chock schock at riseup.net
Mon Mar 8 04:56:29 GMT 2004

Dear friends,

It seems to me that the question we should be asking is not whether a
handful of visitors from international NGOs and the UN feel the effects
of surveillance, censorship, or repression when visiting Tunis for a few
days, but rather, whether the Tunisian people in general live under
these conditions on a day to day level.

There seems to be fairly extensive evidence that the internet, as well
as other media, in Tunisia are subject to systematic monitoring,
censorship, and state repression, including the blocking of sites and
the imprisonment of dissidents.

Should our response be to immediately withdraw from the process and shun
Tunis? No. That would be missing the serious opportunity that we are
presented with to forge greater ties with African civil society.

Should our response be to ignore the situation? Of course not. That
would violate our principles and be an abrogation of responsibility in a
situation that we might leverage to create some small degree of change.

Doesn't it make sense for a subgroup from the CS Plenary to immediately
consult with our friends in Tunisian civil society and begin drafting a
short, pointed statement that makes clear, basic demands on the Tunisian
government if they wish for the successful participation of CS?

I imagine that such demands would include, at a minimum,

1. Release prisoners who have been incarcerated for exercising free
speech, on the internet or in other media,

2. Lift censorship of the internet, and allow access to currently
blocked domains including human rights organizations,

etc.

If we can agree on demands early on, it will be easier to create
steadily escalating pressure for compliance as the next phase of the
WSIS process unfolds.

Is there a group of people that is interested in creating a first draft?
Can it be done in coordination with the Tunisian groups that have
already been organizing in this direction? Perhaps our friends at World
Press Freedom Committee, Article 19, EPIC, Amnesty, and other related
groups could participate?

Sasha Costanza-Chock