[WSIS CS-Plenary] Reality Check....

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Sun Mar 7 22:42:47 GMT 2004

--On Sunday, March 7, 2004 5:14 AM -0800 Nnenna <nne75 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I am a bit surprised to hear of "censorship" in Tunis?  Is Robert
> saying he will feel freer out of Tunis or is he saying that he cannot
> report anything unless he leaves Tunis?
> Well...

it is well reported by leading human rights organizations outside of
Tunisia, and by bona-fide human rights organizations inside Tunisia that
censorship is present in the country.

To many, Tunisia is a repressive regime, where visiting a website
critical of the government, or printing material from opposition sources
leads to imprisonment and torture.

now to answer the question - yes, i could have sent comments from within
Tunisia. However, i choose not to. after all, if the locals don't feel
safe to do so - then, i shouldn't either.

> I personally did do a four- pager on the African Civil Society
> Coordination which I handed out to everyone including the guys from
> the ministry.  Everyone!

To be open - that document, and the one Francis distributed should have
also sent to the plenary so they know what's going on.

another point, did your document have anything of controversy mentioning
human rights, or dissident organizations and/or individuals in Tunisia?
I don't think so ..

> I gave three interviews: one to the TV and two to radios (one radio in
> French and the other in Arabic) in which I stressed the need for
> freedom of the press and the need for the Tunisian CS to really
> participate in the processes, not just act as figurines.  I stressed
> the need for the inclusion of women, children, youth and the
> handicaped.  The TV did not edit it, It came on just that way!
> On Monday evening, before even the meeting started, the ICT and
> Transport Minister attended the CS meeting and answered our questions.

first of all, the meeting you mention where the minister attended, was
not at any time an official CS meeting. it was a so called CSB meeting
-- but, in the eyes of the CSB members it wasn't a meeting.

As I expressed in Tunis quite emphatically, I have grave issues about CS
or CSB meetings called at a few hours notice outside of prepcoms and/or
summits. Who was at the meeting? what was discussed? and did the meeting
give the illusion to the minister that he was meeting with CS? these are
grave concerns which should not go unanswered. meeting any government
official, particularly the Tunisians should be done with great thought,
a process and with a consistent message.

By meeting the Govt officials we are legitimizing them, their regime,
and   - well do we want to do that. WSIS 2005 might be a good
opportunity to create positive change in the country, creating a space
where none currently exists for discussion, debate and a respect for
fundamental human rights. On the other hand, we might create for
ourselves a wonderful bubble where we are treated well, allowed to be
open and free - while the Tunisian citizens, and civil society that
fights for the rights of the oppressed, the tortured and the press
(among others) see in amazement a world, a UN process - where they can't
participate.

> In all, CS members present in Tunis met three times, before, during
> and after the informal meeting.  I do not remember anyone raising a
> point on censorship.

who was there? who where the Tunisians in the room? who do they
represent? and why were groups like the Tunisian human rights League
called Terrorists by the so called "CS focal point for Tunisian civil
society"

I quite objected to have a photographer enter the room when he wanted
and take pictures. while some of the pictures could be bought , others
seem to be absent. Where did the pictures go? Did they get destroyed, or
handled to the police authorities to have a file on who was there ?

>   Alain and Louise also had appointments in town.

who did they meet? did they represent CS, the bureau or just themselves?
i think we should ask those questions.

> They will be in the
> best position to report on those.  I did meet with the Tunisian CS
> members to chat on the implication of the Tunisian CS and I must say I
> was not disappointed.

well who where they? what do they do, and are they accredited in the
process. did you ask that of them?

for the 2 days i tried to get the business card from the so called
Tunisian CS focal point to no avail. if he's the focal point, he no
doutb should have at least a card - something to give out to those of us
wanting to connect him to Tunisians we may know who want to participate.
something to think about

the meeting in theory was open only to government and cs bureau members
as well asspecial guests of the Tunisians (such as alain and louise)  -
so how did the press get in there? was it only open to selected press,
or could we have invited bona fide independent press as well? something
to think about

> Hiroshi, the handicaped family Focal Point and myself paid a visit to
> an NGO that works with Handicaped kids.  I appreciated the activities
> and the political will that the center testified of.

oh how nice. did you meet with any human rights groups while in the
country to get a different view of the country ? if you would have, you
would have heard a very different view, a much darker and sorry state of
affairs.

did you take a look at the newspapers while there? did you see opposing
views, an engaged civil society that has the space for discussion,
action, and protest ? did you try to see if the core values laid down in
the civil society declaration and the declaration of principles are
being observed and respected in Tunisia? it's something we should do -
otherwise, we'll see what handlers want to show us...not the real
Tunisia.

> Another thing, the govt announced the creation of a CS facilitation
> fund. He also informed us that the organization committee had two CS
> members.  We welcomed those.

well, you may have welcomed them. i didn't. A fund with no details -
particularly announced by the Tunisians is very problematic for me. it
should be civil society itself that announces a fund - not a particular
government. For if they do, it gives the illusion that they speak on
behalf of us, and that - is very far from the truth.

Furthermore,  the creation of a fund with no financial commitment and
independence - for me, is no fund at all.

> Lastly, it will be important to notice that the meeting was an
> informal one.  Individuals were invited on personal basis, and this
> was clear from the word go.  The results of the meeting is also
> informal.
> I do not intend this to be a report.  It is a personal contribution.

did we get a list of participants? My working group - the "yellow"
bilingual produced one, however did the other groups do so? if so, i'd
like to know who was there.

for me, and it's a personal view - The Tunisia phase will be far more
complex than Geneva ever was. Whereas in Geneva we worked on documents -
in Tunisia we have the added complexity of the well known, and well
documented human rights abuses that have only gotten worse over the last
few years. Trying to show the world what goes on there, and trying to
effect positive change is a far more complex mission for us. We should
try, but it won't be easy and will require a great deal of coordination,
consultation, openness and be far more serious.