[WSIS CS-Plenary] From News.com: UNITED NATIONS PONDERS NET'S FUTURE

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Tue Mar 30 17:10:41 BST 2004

Hi,

FWIW, I think the constant stream of articles from US journalists and
propagandists about "the UN wants to take over the Internet" is really just
a) lazy reporting and/or b) libertarian disinformation.  Yes, some
governments have said that they'd like to see greater intergovernmental
involvement in tackling public policy issues raised by the Internet, and yes
some have even suggested that ITU should perform the ICANN functions, but
this is hardly the same as saying that "the UN" (meaning what, the
secretariat?) has some nefarious plans to "take over" the Internet that must
be resisted etc.

Nevertheless, I've received a half dozen pointers today to the article below
from various listservs.  The social construction of Internet memes is an
interesting but not always enlightening process....

Best,

Bill

L_SECTION=
201&reload=1080128561