[WSIS CS-Plenary] commentary UNESCO, Microsoft, convention

Meigs meigs at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 18 08:42:54 GMT 2004

Hi, lisa, Djilali and all

Thank you for your very insightful responses. They confirm the fact that the
UN partnerships with the private sector have to be watched carefully, as
they may create precedents, within the WSIS framework. They may become
standard practice in the name of multistakeholder partnerships, even if the
other partners have not been consulted and have no public say in the matter
at work.

It is necessary to assess how Microsoft has framed its offer within the WSIS
goals and how Unesco deals with this and its other commitments (to open
software for instance). The actual text of the agreement is available on the
Unesco site, as Francis Muguet informs us, and it is worth checking on it,
so as to consider all the implications.   We can then address crucial issues
of transparency, accountability, etc.

However, I still think it should be the task of the "content and themes "
group to draft a response document, but it doesn't prevent us to include it
within the positions of the  Civil Society Finance Mechanism working group,
as suggested by Djilali. What do yo think, karen and Steve, as co-chairs of
the content and themes group?

Best
Divina,
Focal point, family of education, academia and research