[WSIS CS-Plenary] PrepCom chair Karklins on GFC, governmental Bureau and PrepComs

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 23 20:39:07 GMT 2004

Ralf,

Thanks for these notes, which are very helpful.  And thank you for
initiating this meeting with Amb. Karklin's in Berlin.  A couple of
important points:

The next meeting of the Group of Friends of the Chair will take place
16-17 December meeting, and will only be open to government observers.
The GFC will focus its agenda in the following structure, according to
Amb. Karklins:
	- discussion of digital solidarity fund 1/2 day
	- discussion on Task Force on Financing Mechanisms 1/2 day
	- discussion on political chapeau 1/2 day
	- chapt 1 and 4 – implementation and followup – 1/2 day

Hopefully our friends on government delegations can keep us informed of
how these draft documents are shaping up, and if the "political
balance" has been restored.  At the end of the day, this is where the
game is being played.

In addition, Amb. Karklins highlighted the importance of Prepcom II in
February.  This meeting will discuss all issues EXCEPT internet
governance, because the WGIG will not have completed its work yet.
Most importantly, the modalities and structure of the actual Tunis
summit will be agreed in February, including the arrangements for
side-events, exhibitions, public participation, etc.  So it will be
important for civil society to come to the second prepcom with concrete
proposals ready about what we feel are adequate facilities and services
to enable us to do our work.  (I.e. let us not repeat the debacle of
expensive and unreliable internet access at the Geneva summit.)

These are CS Bureau questions, since they deal with CS participation
modalities, so hopefully the bureau in Cape Town can spend some time
discussing them.

Regards,

Rik Panganiban

On Nov 22, 2004, at 4:18 PM, Ralf Bendrath wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ambassador Karklins was so kind to give us a briefing on the state of
> affairs in the official WSIS preparations, especially the Group of
> Friends of the Chair and the Bureau, on Saturday after the Global
> Forum in Berlin. Here are my notes.
>
> Best, Ralf

> -
>
> *Ambassador Janis Karklins, WSIS PrepCom Chair
> *
>
> *WSIS Briefing for Civil Society**
> *
>
> *Berlin**, 20.11.2004**
> *
>
> *1. Group of Friends of the Chair (GFC)*
>
> - GFC is currently more an exploratory exercise
>
> - “Move from words to actions” – what does that mean?
>
> - “We won’t bake bread in Tunis, we will still produce texts”
>
> - Only few submissions so far from governments
>
> - *GFC meeting with stakeholders, 15^th November: *
>
> o Governments engaged in discussion, we had a real working session,
> though the stakeholders were there
>
> o Govts don’t want to create a precedent
>
> - *GFC closed meeting 16^th November*
>
> o Karklins is working on the assumption that outcome of Tunis will be
> one document in two parts. Might become two different documents at
> PrepCom.
>
> o Some govts want one doc, others want two docs (as in Geneva)
>
> - *Political chapeau:*
>
> o Main points of discussion: how to reflect Geneva issues (if at all)
> in Tunis documents?
>
> o Should we raise Geneva Docs in Tunis document?
>
> o If there is a political document, then some governments will want a
> longer document (just for the sake of form): Listing of issues would
> be necessary in order to have balanced doc, but then political issues
> would be re-openend.
>
> o Consensus: Chapeau paras 4-10 (of version from 10 November) will be
> re-written, not balanced enough. Karklins will re-write this before
> next meeting (December 16/17). (Not to be published then, as the next
> meeting is govts only)
>
> o Utsumi: Add new paras in chapeau that would reflect “further
> commitments”. Means: going further than in Geneva
>
> o Adopt mechanisms to help implement Geneva decision
>
> § Not about financial, but also human resources.
>
> o Not really working on detailed language yet.
>
> o If TFFM report is available, Karklins will draft a part on that. To
> be published on the website.
>
> - *Next GFC meeting 16/17 December, **Geneva**: *
>
> § Discussion on TFFM
>
> § Discussion of political chapeau
>
> § Discussion of operational part
>
> - Karklins is trying to wake the govts up and make clear that this is
> serious now (afraid that they will start from scratch again at PC3 or
> so)
>
> - *DSF issue: need clarify *what is meant
>
> o existing DSF
>
> o or the initial global DSF idea?
>
> - Geneva-Tunis documents relations?
>
> o Same vision.
>
> o Tunis doc as synthesis or as complementary?

> [...]
RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524

** Please note CONGO's new mailing address: CP 50, 1211 Genéve 20,
Switzerland.  Our physical office address is 11, Avenue De La Paix, 1st
Floor, 1202 Genéve, Switzerland. **