[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: RE: [icann-board] Fwd: [GKD-DOTCOM] Cyber-Security and E-commerce

Nabil El-Khodari webmaster at nilebasin.com
Mon Oct 4 16:25:23 BST 2004

Dear Veni:

The post was made to attract the attention of the IG WG to an issue I see
as important to the work of that group. It is not meant for discussion.

Regarding the issue of denying IP addresses on the basis of 'possible
fraud', I guess this is totally unfair. I have investigated an 'African'
scam e-mail to a hosting service in France. Unfortunately, when I tried to
contact the technical and administrative contacts of the service as listed
in whois, the e-mail was returned back to me as there was no such an
e-mail address. Would it be fair to treat France the same way as
Macedonia? I do not think so.

I believe though that each ISP/hosting service should be responsible for
making sure that an authentic contact information are supplied for each
web site. Only sites that do not have a functioning administrative and/or
technical contact should be temporarily blocked until the problem is
corrected. This may be should be the problem of the 'registrar'.

I thank Vittorio Bertola for his comment.

Sincerely,

Nabil El-Khodari
Founder/Treasurer
Nile Basin Society
Tel.: +1 (647) 722-3256
Fax: +1 (647) 722-3273

http://nilebasin.com
http://nilebasin.net
http://nile.ca
108 Waterbury Dr.
Toronto, Ontario, M9R 3Y3
Canada

"If the people will lead, the leaders will follow." Dr. David Suzuki