[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: RE: [icann-board] Fwd: [GKD-DOTCOM] Cyber-Security and E-commerce

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Oct 4 11:37:10 BST 2004

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:15:02 +0300, Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote:

>Dear Nabil,
>please, feel free to forward this to the GKD-DOTCOM mailing list. I am
>writing to Marta from Makedonia, as well. Hope this brings some more light
>into the discussion.
>
>I hope that we can keep the communication off the mailing list, if people
>are not interested.

I find this episode (if I understand it well) really interesting. Of course
it is true that, as Vint said, there is no obligation to do business in
every country - but the ICANN registry/registrar system, as a whole, has to
guarantee access to generic domain names to the whole world.

In other words, as long as it is a single registrar refusing to do business
with Macedonia or Bulgaria, you could still accept it as normal business
dynamics; but if a significant percentage of ICANN's accredited registrars
did the same, then the situation would be unacceptable, as it would unfairly
discriminate access from certain parts of the world to a globally shared
resource.

Perhaps ICANN has to think at how it can solve this problem by preserving
market competition while still ensuring a sort of "universal service"
access.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...