[WSIS CS-Plenary] There's a problem -> Re: [governance] Proposition de candidats pour le WGIG

Hervé Le Crosnier herve at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Oct 5 21:18:44 BST 2004

-----texte en français en fin de message  --------

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> After the first round of consultations in Geneva on
> September 20-21, the size, composition and mandate of the
> WGIG remain in discussion. This makes the selection of
> potential members from civil society a delicate issue that

	Good morning everyone,

	I know that choosing delegates is really a hard task,
	and I want to thank those who get this in charge.

	I have read the declaration of most of the candidates,
	and I am really suprised by this one.

> Second, based on the submissions from other Civil Society
> thematic caucuses, a list of "connectors" has been
> established to facilitate interaction with various thematic
> constituencies as the process expands to a broader range of
> issues :
>
> - Jonathan Cave (UK), senior Economist, Rand Europe;
> connector for the Scientific Information Working Group

	I don't know M. Cave, and sure I think that, as a person,
	he certainly is very interesting and know of what he's
	talking about. My problem is not with the person.

	But with considering the Rand Corporation as a
	civil society constituent.

	In his presentation, Jonathan Cave says :
	"Dr. Cave belongs to the civil society sector, and participates
	in the WSIS process through several accredited NGOs:
	the Global eSustainability  Initiative (GeSI)
	(http://www.gesi.org );  RAND Europe
	 (http://www.rand.org/randeurope), the Club of Rome
	(www.clubofrome.org -  via the Brussels chapter)

	So i looked at the Rand Corp Europe (i know of the america
	leading group, who can hardly be "civil society"
	representative).

	The RAND Europe has the following three boards:

     * Board of Directors
     * Advisory Board
     * Board of Trustees

RAND Europe Board of Directors

James A. Thomson (Chairman)
President and CEO RAND Corporation United States

Stephen M. Drezner
Senior Advisor RAND Corporation United States

Martin van der Mandele
President RAND Europe the Netherlands

Floris A. Maljers
Retired Chairman Unilever N.V.
the Netherlands

Lloyd N. Morrisett
Children's Television Workshop
United States

Maarten C. van Veen
Retired Chairman Hoogovens
the Netherlands

Lo C. van Wachem
Chairman, Board of Directors
Zurich
the Netherlands
Former Chairman, Supervisory Board
Royal Dutch Shell the Netherlands

RAND Europe Advisory Board

Robin Renwick of Clifton (Chairman)
Chairman J. P. Morgan plc.
United Kingdom

Jan K. Bielecki
Director for Poland, Bulgaria and Albania
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
United Kingdom

Carl Bildt
Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General for the Balkans

Olivier Debouzy
Partner August & Debouzy
France

Thérèse Delpech
Director Atomic Energy Commission
France

Robert Hunter
U.S. Ambassador to NATO, 1993-1997
Senior Advisor RAND
United States

Jacques H. Schraven
Chairman
Federation of Netherlands Industry and Employers (VNO-NCW)
the Netherlands

Karsten D. Voigt
Coordinator for German-American Cooperation
Foreign Office
Germany

Matti Vuoria
Chairman Fortum Corporation
Finland

Jacques H. Wahl
Director, Senior Advisor, and Member of the Managing Board
Banque Nationale de Paris Paribas
France

H.C. Werner Weidenfeld
Professor of Political Science
Geschwister-Scholl-Institute
Ludwig-Maximilians-University
Germany Director of the
Center for Applied Policy Research (CAP)
Germany

RAND Europe Board of Trustees (UK)

Martin van der Mandele (Chairman)
President RAND Europe
the Netherlands

Sir John Boyd
Master Churchill College
United Kingdom

Professor Sir Lawrence Freedman
Vice-Principal (Research) and Head
School of Social Science and Public Policy
King's College London

	Do they really are part of the "civil society" ?
	I think they mostly are head of big corporations.

	It's a question of definition of what is civil society....

	I also have a look at the GESI, and find membership :

	Members
	Bell Canada
	British Telecommunications plc
	Deutsche Telekom AG
	Ericsson
	European Telecommunication Network Operators Association (ETNO)
	MM02
	Telefonica SA
	Vodafone plc

	Associate Members
   	Carbon Disclosure Project

	Supporting organisations
	United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Division of Technology,
Industry and Economics
	International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Telecommunication
Development Bureau

	Is that really "civil society"...

	So why do we need a private sector ? They can be civil
	society too, isnt'it ?

	I think that we have to be clear of some extends of
	the civil society. If representatives of big
	corporations can also be representatives in the
	third sector... the tripartite organisation of the
	whole WSIS is to evaluate.

	Again, i have no problem with the person, and i'm
	sorry if it hurts M. Cave, who i don't know.

	But in his presentation, he don't says "i earn my wages
	at Rand, and after i gave my energy to build the
	civil society"..., but he says that "as a representative
	of Rand Corp and GESI", he can be representative of
	civil society.

	Apologize to put my finger where it can hurt,
	but we need clarification. May be there's other
	problems in the list I don't know of, but I follow works
	of the Rand for years, and this explode in my eyes...

Hervé Le Crosnier

(My work is to be teacher in the University of Caen. I
am a member of many civil society organizations, as ATD-Quart
Monde, ATTAC, Agir ensemble contre le chômage; I was one of the
founder of the french chapter of ISOC. I was in WSIS
through the Vecam accreditation, and my expenses were granted
by Francophonie who guaranteed my freedom of position and speech...
I've wrote some papers (in french) about SMSI :
http://herve.cfeditions.org/smsi
I know nobody is as clear as fresh water...
we need money to live and to work as civil society servants..
But is different to be mandate as a member of "organisations"
representatives of the interest of the private sector.)

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE wrote:
 > Dear all,
 >
 > After the first round of consultations in Geneva on
 > September 20-21, the size, composition and mandate of the
 > WGIG remain in discussion. This makes the selection of
 > potential members from civil society a delicate issue that

	Bonjour,

	Je sais combien choisir des délégués est un travail
	difficile, et je veux remercier ceux qui le prenne
	en charge.

	J'ai lu les déclarations de la majeure partie des candidats,
	et je suis vraiment surpris par l'une d'entre elles :

 > Second, based on the submissions from other Civil Society
 > thematic caucuses, a list of "connectors" has been
 > established to facilitate interaction with various thematic
 > constituencies as the process expands to a broader range of
 > issues :
 >
 > - Jonathan Cave (UK), senior Economist, Rand Europe;
 > connector for the Scientific Information Working Group

	Je ne connais pas M. Cave, et je suis sûr qu'à titre
	personnel il est certainement très intéressant et
	sait de quoi il parle. Je n'ai aucun problème avec
	la personne.

	Mais je ne crois que que l'on puisse considérer la
	Rand Corporation comme une organisation de la société civile.

	Dans sa présentation, Jonathan Cave dit :
	"Dr. Cave belongs to the civil society sector, and participates
	in the WSIS process through several accredited NGOs:
	the Global eSustainability  Initiative (GeSI)
	(http://www.gesi.org );  RAND Europe
	 (http://www.rand.org/randeurope), the Club of Rome
	(www.clubofrome.org -  via the Brussels chapter)

	Aussi ai-je regardé le site de la Rand corporation  Europe.
	(je connais la Rand des Etats-Unis, et je crois qu'on
	ne peut pas la considérer comme représentant la
	société civile...)

	La Rand Europe a trois bureaux, dont voici les membres :

[...]

	S'agit-il vraiment de membres de la "société civile" ?
	Il me semble que la majeure partie sont des directeurs
	de grandes transnationales.

	Nous sommes face à une question de définition de la société
	civile.

	J'ai regardé de même GESI, et découvert la liste
	des membres :
	Members
	Bell Canada
	British Telecommunications plc
	Deutsche Telekom AG
	Ericsson
	European Telecommunication Network Operators Association (ETNO)
	MM02
	Telefonica SA
	Vodafone plc

	Associate Members
   	Carbon Disclosure Project

	Supporting organisations
	United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Division of Technology,
Industry and Economics
	International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Telecommunication
Development Bureau

	Est-ce vraiment cela la "société civile" ?

	Alors pourquoi avons-nous besoin d'un "secteur
	privé" ? Ne pourrait-on aussi les mettre dans la
	"société civile  ?

	Je pense que nous devons maîtriser les frontières
	souples de la société civile. Si les représentants
	des grandes entreprises peuvent aussi devenir des
	représentants de la société civile, c'est toute la
	structure tri-partite du SMSI qui doit être ré-évaluée.

	Je le répète, ce n'est pas un problème personnel avec
	M. Cave que je ne connais pas, et je suis désolé
	si cela le blesse.

	Mais dans sa présentation il ne dit pas : "je gagne ma vie
	à la Rand et après je donne mon énergie à la
	société civile", mais il dit qu'il pourrait être
	nommé "comme un représentant de Rand et Gesi"
	au titre de la société civile.

	Je vous prie de m'excuser de mettre mon doigt là où
	ça fait mal, mais nous avons besoin d'un peu de clarté.
	Il y a peut être d'autres problèmes dans la liste
	que je ne connais pas, mais je lis les travaux de la
	Rand depuis assez longtemps pour que cela m'ait sauté
	aux yeux.

Hervé Le Crosnier

(par mon travail, je suis enseignant à l'Université de
Caen, je suis membre de plusieurs organisation de la
société civile comme ATD Quart-Monde, ATTAC et Agir
ensemble contre le chômage ; j'ai participé à la création du
chapitre français de l'ISOC. J'étais au SMSI grâce à
l'accréditation de Vecam, et mes frais étaient pris en
charge par la Francophonie, qui garantissait ma liberté
de parole. J'ai écris plusieurs papiers sur le SMSI à
http://herve.cfeditions.org/smsi
Je sais que personne n'est blanc-bleu, et que nous
devons gagner notre vie et avoir des financements pour
nos activités sociales....
Mais cela est complètement différent que d'être mandaté
pour la société civile comme représentant des intérêts
du secteur privé).