[WSIS CS-Plenary] What is going on? Transparency and selection

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 20:11:47 BST 2004

Dear Nabil,

I'm unclear what list of "accredited organizations for the purpose of
WSIS II (Tunis)" you are referring to.  I have not found any such
listing on the official website http://www.itu.int/wsis.

The documentation makes clear that all organizations accredited to the
first phase remain accredited to the second, unless there is a specific
decision to the contrary.  Your organization is listed as having been
accredited to the first Phase, so you could not be dropped unless there
was a decision on this, which you would have to have been informed of.

If you are referring to document symbol WSIS-II/PC-1/DOC/3-E, this
refers to NEW organizations that have requested to be accredited to
Prepcom I, Phase II, and does not include entities that have already
been accredited.  You will see for example that my own organization,
the Conference of NGOs, is not including in this listing.  The purpose
of this listing is to inform governments of the new accreditations and
give them an opportunity to comment on them to the secretariat and the
bureau.

It is possible you are confusing registration with accreditation.  All
accredited entities still have to register for all the PrepComs, so
that the secretariat knows who is coming and can prepare badges and
documentation and other logistical arrangements.  Just because you are
accredited in general to the WSIS does not mean you are registered for
a particular Prepcom unless you have informed the secretariat that you
are coming.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Rik Panganiban