[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: FBI Seizes Indymedia Servers in the UK / "extended sovereignty"

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE lachapelle at openwsis.org
Sat Oct 9 14:16:48 BST 2004

Just one comment on this very troubling story :

It has often been argued that the Internet reduces the
sovereignty of states on their own citizens and territory
(up to John Perry Barlow's vision on the independence of
cyberspace).

What the story below demonstrates is a simultaneous
potential trend in the exact opposite direction towards what
we could call "extended sovereignty" : the power a
government (and in particular the US government) can apply
to a foreign national/entity in its own country. The Patriot
Act being only one among the tools trying to establish this
extension of sovereignty.

An article by John Hines details this challenge in a clear
way : http://www.isoc.org/pubpolpillar/juris.shtml

This is a MAJOR political issue, only emerging but likely to
take a growing importance.

Bertrand de La Chapelle