[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: FBI Seizes Indymedia Servers in the UK / "extended sovereignty"

Nabil El-Khodari webmaster at nilebasin.com
Sat Oct 9 16:16:29 BST 2004

First, I would like to thank Bertrand for the url provided in his response
that provides many explanations to even some of the issues I have suffered
experimenting with running a web server from my PC. In fact, ICANN
directly hacked my computer as proved by my firewall - I live in Canada.
On contacting them, they denied the hacking but told me that I was
investigated because I also ran a name server that my domain referred to.

As for Indymedia, I have used their servers a couple of times for
advocacy-related issues. It is sad to see this happen and I believe we
should look for a radical solution that maintains the spirit of the
Internet and its use as an alternative medium against the hemegomy of
traditional media companies.

My question is, cannot the same servers used by ICANN be replicated
somewhere else in the 'free world', say Germany, France, Switzerland? I
believe this should work. May be it is too late for .com .net and .org
domains, but cannot we start with any 'fresh' domain names?

We have t challenge this control over the internet by providing other
alternatives. It is evident that reasoning, legal actions, etc. will
always fail.

Sincerely,

Nabil El-Khodari
Founder/Treasurer
Nile Basin Society
Tel.: +1 (647) 722-3256
Fax: +1 (647) 722-3273

http://nilebasin.com
http://nilebasin.net
http://nile.ca
108 Waterbury Dr.
Toronto, Ontario, M9R 3Y3
Canada

"If the people will lead, the leaders will follow." Dr. David Suzuki