[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: FBI Seizes Indymedia Servers in the UK / "extended sovereignty"

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Mon Oct 11 21:26:38 BST 2004

A few facts on this recent stab at freedom of expression from the Empire
to help in an eventual discussion:

- The Indymedia network is composed of "wiki-like" Web sites in which
anyone is free to post articles and comments, and the maintainers of
this network should be legally protected since in a free space each
author should be legally accountable for her/his content posted in the
sites, not the ones who maintain the services. Seizing the servers in a
State of Law is therefore unacceptable unless the very operators were
posting any allegedly offensive or illegal stuff.

- Besides Britain and the USA being partners in the MLAT (Mutual Legal
AssistanceTreaty, which could be called an "extended mutual sovereignty
treaty") which allows in certain cases to prosecute citizens from  a
country at the request of the other country's justices, this still needs
to be done in compliance with the legal standards of the affected
country (in this case, Britain). Taking into account the above, it seems
this might not have been the case.

- Indymedia in Britain hosted its servers in a USA corporation
subsidiary - Rackspace - in Britain. Thus, the corporation is forced to
abide by the imposition of American justice, and this includes its
subsidiaries. The obvious question is why Indymedia took such a risk,
when there are several other, legally less vulnerable, alternatives?

- The alleged reason seems to be the two Swiss moles (they look more
like plain traffic cops to me anyway, but...;)) whose photos are all
over the Internet by now. No mention of the disclosure of the Diebold
memos, which might be the real reason for the USA cops to go after this
and dozens of other Web sites, out of Diebold's desperation (Diebold's
ears were even pulled in a NY Times editorial on Oct.4 after losing a
case against students who allegedly helped recirculate the memos). This
is very serious indeed, showing the incredible vulnerability to
manipulation of the USA voting machines, as recognized by the Diebold
techies themselves in the said memos. Sounds like Americans might have a
nationwide reedition of the Florida scam in the upcoming elections...

In any case, the memos and the cops' photos are in hundreds of sites the
world over now, which turns the apparently illegal seizure into even
more nonsense.

Very troubling indeed, compa Bertrand.

fraternal rgds

--c.a.

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE wrote:

>Just one comment on this very troubling story :
>
>It has often been argued that the Internet reduces the
>sovereignty of states on their own citizens and territory
>(up to John Perry Barlow's vision on the independence of
>cyberspace).
>
>What the story below demonstrates is a simultaneous
>potential trend in the exact opposite direction towards what
>we could call "extended sovereignty" : the power a
>government (and in particular the US government) can apply
>to a foreign national/entity in its own country. The Patriot
>Act being only one among the tools trying to establish this
>extension of sovereignty.
>
>An article by John Hines details this challenge in a clear
>way : http://www.isoc.org/pubpolpillar/juris.shtml
>
>This is a MAJOR political issue, only emerging but likely to
>take a growing importance.
>
>Bertrand de La Chapelle

[...]