[Wsis-pct] HR 4077 (was Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] FBI Seizes Indymedia Servers in the UK)

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Tue Oct 12 17:26:57 BST 2004

Richard Stallman wrote:

>    >The use of the term "theft of intellectual property" is an indication
>    >of how the authors of this bill are giving way to the propaganda
>    >of the publishers.  The only way to steal a copyright or a patent
>    >is to pretend to be the owner of it.
>
>    That won't stop the bill from passing unchecked.
>
>The point is that this shows how use of "intellectual property" makes
>vicious laws seem legitimate.  We cannot stop with fighting these laws
>one by one.  We have to fight the generator that produces them, which
>is the concept of "intellectual property".

We're on the same wavelength in the context of the WGIG. However, this
battle is in the United States. Those who are opposing the bill need
support. The derivative education of the public and beaurecracy is not
without value. Speaking in generalities lends to a consistent approach,
but it does not always lead to timely results.

>    They can't enforce these laws on foreigners? Don't forget just last year
>    an Australian court was the court chosen for a libel case for a company
>    in the U.S. which had allegedly slandered an Australian resident;
>
>US courts sometimes apply judgments from other countries' courts, but
>most countries' courts will not apply US court judgments.  If you are
>a company with business interests in the US, you would be exposed to
>the US court.  But in general they cannot get at people who live in
>other countries.

Which country has the most international business interests? Is it that
the only answer to assure the rights of people around the world that
organizations and businesses around the world not have business
interests in the United States? I think that this is a dangerous
position for the United States and the rest of the world, and one being
made light of.

>    don't have the details at my fingertips but this is a real case. It's
>    also what people involved in law call a 'precedent'.

Gus Hosein has pointed out the details (thank you, Gus):
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,56793,00.html

"

  Aussie Can Sue Over Online Story

Associated Press *Page 1* of 1

08:57 AM Dec. 10, 2002 PT

SYDNEY, Australia -- In a landmark case, Australia's highest court on
Tuesday gave a businessman the right to sue for defamation in Australia
over an article published in the United States and posted on the Internet.

Analysts suggest the ruling against international news service Dow
Jones, the first by a nation's top court to deal with cross-border
Internet defamation, could set a precedent and affect publishers and
websites that post articles in the 190 nations that allow defamation
cases..."

Gus Hosein also pointed out that this is only one example of such cases.

No matter where you go, there you are.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

"Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase...The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive"
— Frank Herbert, 'Dune'