[WSIS CS-Plenary] Human Rights Watch report on Tunisia

info at virtualactivism.net info at virtualactivism.net
Wed Sep 22 19:15:53 BST 2004

Hello everyone. Allow me to give my two cents on this issue. While I
have noted an abundance of criticism of Tunisia, I disagree with Nabil
on almost everything he said. Sorry Nabil. The hospitality you mention
is wonderful and a source of pride to us all as Arabs, but it does not
mean that there is  no fundamental flaw in our 'governance' and a
serious problem in our ability to exercise our freedoms. I am not sure
how you say we should expect to speak freely should we stop criticism of
the 'host' given what happened in Geneva and given what happened in the
Prepcom. How do you expect us to agree to the convenience of being
'treated well' provided that we do not speak of issues that constitute
gross violations of human rights being committed? Tunisians can indeed
speak of their problems and we can show solidarity. We are not attacking
the host [and I hope anyone who is 'attacking' would not attack. Are we
attacking?]. There is a rational discussion that can go on if the 'other
side' is also willing to discuss rather than bring in bus-loads of
hooligans to the Plenary.

Now the point, to me, is this: there is a Human Rights Caucus which
needs to continue to deal with this issue as well as with other human
rights issues in communication rights in Tunisia and beyond Tunisia. We,
in the Plenary, have other issues also. It does not mean that we should
not speak of the Tunisian violations but that the focus should shift to
other issues as well. At times Tunisia seems to force itself into the
discussion and almost [at times rightly so] hijacks it entirely to the
exclusion of all else. There ARE other issues and we need to focus on
those ALSO.

Lastly, we took this decision in the 'proposed' Arab Caucus... at least
in the 'Egyptian' part of it for now: that even though the Tunisia issue
is important, it is not the only issue and we need to move beyond it but
certainly without excluding it.

Marlyn Tadros, Ph.D
Executive Director
http://www.mengos.net