[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Call for Comments: Draft YC Input toWGIG Sept Consultation

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Fri Sep 10 15:48:08 BST 2004

rsagun at takingitglobal.org wrote:

>>Dear All,
>>
>>Please find our draft input to the upcoming WGIG consultation for your
>>review. We would be very grateful to receive and learn from your comments.
>>As of the moment, it is very unlikely that the Youth Caucus would be able
>>to send a representative to the WGIG meeting due to unavailability of
>>funding thus we would like to seek your support in terms of advancing our
>>final proposals, which we'll post to your list on the 13th. We request that
>>you send in your comments via facilitators at wsisyouth.org.

This was an interesting draft (thanks for posting it, thanks to Karen
for mentioning the attachment wasn't originally attached).

I have to make an observation at this point - we're expecting people
with an understanding of Internet Governance, which is typically a good
thing. But I offer that it is quite easy to get tangled up in how it
'presently works' and defining the future IG based on decisions which
are a synthesis of the existing system. While the existing system must
be dealt with, I think it's important to understand that if the present
system was working fine there would not be a WGIG.

This concerns me. While understanding how the present system works is
important, it's more important - at least in my eyes - to 'toss' the
existing system and consider IG at different levels - then go back to
the present system and make recommendations.

But it's not my party - though it is to represent my concerns. So it
*is* my party, it's *our* party. Which gets me to representation, which
I shall comment on later.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com