[WSIS CS-Plenary] NCUC list of recommended CS names forWGIG

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Sep 12 21:51:32 BST 2004

Veni:
You seem to misunderstand the nature of this list.
Others on the list may share this misunderstanding, so
I will address it at some length.

This is not a "slate" of candidates that will be adopted in
TOTAL by the UN Secretary-General. It is a list of suggestions
that the UN S-G *may* (if we are lucky) choose to take one,
two, or maybe three or four names from. We
consider each of these names to be qualified and capable
people as individuals, and they come from diverse regions
and backgrounds. But the list as a whole is not intended to
represent "the world." It represents people we (NCUC) think
would go a good job of representing CS concerns on the
WGIG.

Our goal was to provide a list of names that
was balanced on a global region basis so that if the
S-G needed names from any particular region he would
be able to find them on our list. We also wanted to
balance technical and policy skills.

By including "more" names from the South we do NOT
increase the chances of Southern names being put on
the WGIG, nor do we affect in any way the actual
balance of names on the final selections. Kofi Annan is
responsible for the final balance of the WGIG, not us.
I hope that distinction is clear.

Indeed, there is only one thing that increases the chances
of someone from "the South" being selected for the WGIG:
identifying the names of qualified, willing and able nominees
and getting them to volunteer. Unless such names are
put forward, all these debates about representation are quite
irrelevant. And so where are your proposed names, Veni?
We issued our call for names several weeks ago on several
lists you participate in. For some reason, we did not hear
from you, we did not receive any suggestions from you.

--MM

>>> veni at veni.com 09/12/04 12:09 PM >>>
Dear all,
While I really appreciate all proposed candidates, and I think they will
do
a great job, I'd like to draw the attention of all colleagues and
caucuses
who have NOT yet nominated people, that it's important to have also
equal
representation of the North and the South.

In what Milton has sent, there are 4 people from the South (or 3,
depending) and 7 (8) from the North. And noone from least developed
countries.

While I know it's probably difficult to come with names from those
countries, I feel it's vital for the process in which we're involved to
have representatives from those countries.

Best,
Veni