[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Veni's objections

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Wed Sep 15 07:08:08 BST 2004

At 09:50 14-09-04  +0200, Tracey Naughton wrote:
>These factors deplete enthusiasm and reinforce dominant paradigms. We all
>have a responsibility to bring about a more equitable world, but too few
>take up the challenge.

Tracey,
thank you for your letter.
I'd like to see nominations which bring equal:
- participation of South / North representatives
- male / female

Otherwise, we are always saying "yeah, there's a digital divide, but we'll
fix it." How? By not finding enough names from the South to be on the WGIG?
Or by bringing arguments in protection of a non-protectable theme, like
"South-North representation of 4:7 is almost equal, and... a-a, Veni, why
don't you propose names of people from the South, since you're so
enthusiastic about it?" I am afraid that I am not in the position to
propose names - as you and some other people mentioned - what if we propose
names, since the only ones able to travel and work in Geneva or NY are the
North?
In anycase, I don't understand the whole heat around this debate. For me
it's simple - we not only need equality. We MUST show to the rest of the
world that what we do in the WSIS process is indeed a new process,
including thinking equality.

best,
veni