[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Veni's objections

Laurent Straskraba laurent at straskraba.net
Wed Sep 15 12:21:21 BST 2004

Dear all,

I very much agree with Vittorio,

At 10:47 15/09/2004, you wrote:
>I think we have to find enthusiastic and competent people who actually
>care about the North *and* the South, about males *and* females, about
>people who speak English *and* personnes qui parlent Français (e anche
>Italiano and all other languages of the world), about domain names *and*
>human rights.
>
>Of course no one will be an expert of everything, so an open mind,
>willingness to listen to everyone, and a caring attitude towards all
>problems are fundamental. In my view, the first task of a civil society
>WGIG member will be to connect the working group with all civil society
>participants, and move information and proposals back and forth - not
>just to push his/her own pet issues.

What an Integrative Information Society needs are people with expertise and
EMPATHY who care for issues and try to include others possibly
affected/interested.

>I have no problem with this: simply nominate one person from the South
>who has the right skills and attitudes and everyone will be happy to
>support him/her, perhaps even financially.

Well, there are a lot. If I think of i.e. Asia there is UNDP-APDIP, GKP,
PAN Asia, etc etc.

Just to name one who I'm working together on Asia-Europe links at the moment:
Robert Sagun from the Philippines, WSIS Youth Caucus Co-Facilitator, YCDO
member

Best regards,
Laurent

---
Mag. Laurent Straskraba
Information Society Researcher
http://www.icts.sbg.ac.at

Information Society Representative at UN Youth & Student Association of Austria
http://www.afa.at

post: Ontlstrasse 3, A - 4040 Linz, Austria / Europe
mobile: +43.650.7711861 (GMT +1)
e-mail: laurent at straskraba.net
web: http://www.straskraba.net
---