[WSIS CS-Plenary] [governance] Thinking about

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Sep 16 08:48:54 BST 2004

Il mer, 2004-09-15 alle 19:50, Enrique A.Chaparro ha scritto:
> address. Therefore, the best I could expect from WGIG would be:
> - A strong statement establishing that copyright issues do not
>   belong to the field of Internet governance;
> - A recommendation to all standards bodies (i.e. IETF, W3C, ...)
>   stating that software patents are incompatible with Internet's
>   basic interoperabilty, i.e., the subject of governance, and
>   should therefore be avoided in any standards; and

I see these two things as contradictory. If copyright issues do not
belong to Internet governance, then Internet governance bodies should
not care about the copyright / patent status of any standard. If on the
other hand, as I think, it is important that Internet standards are kept
absolutely patent-free, then Internet governance bodies have to deal at
least with this issue.

Personally, I think that IP problems are now underlying all aspects of
our society - in a certain sense, freedom of access to information
should become an extension of the classical human rights. As such, I
don't think that you can say that there is any governance field that is
exempt from IP considerations.

But, of course, you may ask that the WGIG does not deal with patents and
copyright *in general* - that is, outside of the administration of the
Internet.

> Regards from the Far South,

Regards from any place on the planet :-)
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu.org