[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Thinking about

Enrique A.Chaparro echaparro at uolsinectis.com.ar
Wed Sep 15 18:50:59 BST 2004

[...snip...]
> them to be discussed as governance issues in their own right.  As I
> have said about several other issues, I think this determination is
> something that should be on the early agenda of the WGIG and should
> include: determination of appropriateness of the topic, discussion of
> other work being done on the topic, and the determination of the
> ability of the WGIG both to work with organizations involved in this
> area and to affect that work.

In fact, a strong statement on the first issue would make the
other two senseless. If any governance is needed in the Internet,
it is for giving the users reasonable assurance that an IP packet
sent from a source IP address will reach its destination IP
address. Therefore, the best I could expect from WGIG would be:
- A strong statement establishing that copyright issues do not
  belong to the field of Internet governance;
- A recommendation to all standards bodies (i.e. IETF, W3C, ...)
  stating that software patents are incompatible with Internet's
  basic interoperabilty, i.e., the subject of governance, and
  should therefore be avoided in any standards; and
- Another statement regarding trademark issues, establishing that
  they do not belong to the field of Internet governance since
  national laws and international agreements already deal with
  such issues, and therefore that supranational coercitive (and
  contrary to fair process) polices as ICANN's domain name UDRP
  are out of the scope of IG.
Of course, I'm thinking of the best... but preparing for the
worst :)

Regards from the Far South,

Enrique
--