[WSIS CS-Plenary] [governance] Thinking about

Chris Nicol cnicol at pangea.org
Sun Sep 19 20:20:50 BST 2004

Hi,

1) This discussion about IP is very interesting and I echo the comments
made by several people that we should continue it in a constructive way.

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 19:27, Robin Gross wrote:
> Yes I agree.  WSIS/WGIG could be an opportunity to push for that much
> needed reform.  Although it remains unclear to me how great of an
> opportunity.  WSIS/WGIG doesn't seem to have any real teeth at this stage.

2) I agree too. Whether or not you agree with Richard Stallman about not
using the term "intellectual property" (he does us a great favour by
insisting that we should not confuse the various areas that are grouped
under the term), the issues themselves will (and I think should) come up
in the WSIS IG context. As has been suggested, there is some chance of
influencing the results here, so it would be a pity to miss the
opportunity.

3) My own opinion, and what I draw from the discussion, is that there is
a great need to open up debate about the issues on many different
fronts. WIPO is an obvious one, and we should certainly be discussing
how to intervene there, how to support developing countries, etc. And
the campaign about patenting software in the European Union was
surprisingly successful, although we'll soon see how long that lasts.

But not only official international bodies. Civil society has a lot of
forums where these issues can be (and have been) brought up, such as the
World/European/Americas Social Forums. National and local events too.
And unless civil society as a whole becomes aware of and concerned about
such issues (not only IP and IG, but other internet and IS issues), we
will have very little success in improving the situation, because we
(the civil society part of WSIS) are very few compared with the size of
the  tasks facing us.

The fight is not won or lost in one battle. If we are to have some
impact, it will take years of work, and we'll need to become greater in
numbers and allies. The Working Group is a start.

Regards,

Chris