[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Civil Society Involvement in TF on Financing Mechanism

djilali benamrane dbenamrane at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 17:47:32 BST 2004

Please see below in French

Dear Christoph, dear all

I read your mail to Francis, I am very happy to learn
there is in the North some other efforts concerning
this matter of financing. I am sending a copy to the
few people I know which already stated - in a formal
or informal way - to be interested in the issue.
Thank you very much for the moment being I propose the
following procedure:
 > 1. Myself (Djilali), Roberto (who is informed by
the initiative and who have not yet react), Rainer or
and anybody else willing and able to
coordinate/moderate the group could start the e-mail
list; maybe it would be helpful that every participant
of the list briefly explains her/his background and
his speficic interest in the Financing Working Group;
Thanks a lot for your kind offer. I shall try to
propose to some friends from Africa, Asia and Middle
East to join us.
In order to have fruitfull discussion, as you said,
there is a need to have a mailing list and a web site.
This is the reason why I asked Francis to help us in
that regards.
You are therefore kindly invited to register to the
mailing list that has prepared for this purpose
 http://mail.wtis.org/wws/subrequest/finance
 I guess it will save the time of everybody if I
register all the co-recepients of this message to the
list. I stay waitting for your proposal some of you
have already registered.
 I will be happy if another moderator may help me
moderate this list.
 Concerning the coordination of this group in
formation, it is the coalition of the willing, and my
call is open.
 As an African and an UN economist (retired), I will
be glad to coordinate this effort. I asked Francis
from France to help us in that task  because he is
currently investigating under the friendly
patronage of Adama Samassekou ( no longer a WSIS
official ) what could be the international public
legal framework for MSP. He is also available for
providing us with some linguistics help ( English &
Spanish).
 I better like to express myself in French and if
necessary in English.
 I suggest that there should be no more than 3 or 4
co-coordinators, taking into account gender and
regional diversity as much as possible, it is  the
maximal number I noticed in the current WSIS Working
Groups,
otherwise we have to go to another structure:  a
larger coordinating board with a president of the
board.  Too much complicated, What do you think ?
 > 2. We briefly survey already existing civil society
resources policy papers, good practice reports,
evaluations, institutions, persons, ongoing research
etc.); Yes, we must be open to new ideas and we do
have to try to involve participants from Africa,
especially from LDCs.
Hashimoto from UNDP seems to be looking honestly for
news ideas, new structures, the current UN system
needs a reform, and possibly many funding
organizations.
 > 3. Starting from the "Financing and Infrastructure"
chapter of the Civil Society Declaration we formulate
some general guidelines for the further development of
a CS position paper; OK, that could constitute a
starting point.
 > 4. We have a civil society workshop on financing on
Nov. 18th, the day before the UN ICT Task Force
meeting in Berlin. Ralph Bendrath volunteers to
coordinate at least the organizational part (is that
correct, Ralph?). Workshop 3 of the Task Force meeting
on Nov. 19th is about "Financing ICT for development".
It is might be good idea to link efforts at the WSIS
and efforts at the UN ICT Task force.
I am waitting for your comments and advice.
Manu thanks and best regards

En Francais
Cher Christoph,
J'ai lu votre message à Francis et vous en remercie.
Je suis trés heureux que la problèmatique du
financement interesse nos collegues et amis du Nord.
Je partage cette reflexion avec des personnes
ressources qui se sont exprimées sur ce theme. Merci
pour cette contribution et me permets d'avancer ces
commentaires de procedures.
1 Moi-meme, Roberto qui a été informe et qui n'a pas
encore reagi et d'autres personnes qui sont
interessées pour animer les debats pourraient se
proposer pour participer a la moderation d'une liste
de discussion. Pour faciliter la chose, elles peuvent
exprimer leurs preoccupations et leurs attentes. Merci
pour cette offre et j'essaie de mobiliser quelques
personnes d'Afrique, d'Asie et du Moyen Orient.
Comme tu le proposes pour faciliter les echanges il
est souhaitable d'avoir une liste de discussion et un
site web. J'ai deja demande a Francis de nous aider en
ce domaine et il a montre sa disponibilite.
Des a present, vous etes amicalement invités a vous
inscrire sur :
http://mail.wtis.org/wws/subrequest/finance
Je serai heureux que d'autres personnes se proposent
pour participer à la moderation de la liste qui reste
ouverte aux personnes volontaires et disponibles. En
tant qu'economiste africain et onusien a la retraite
je suis volontaire pour m'impliquer dans l'initiative.
Francis est aussi volontaire pour apporter son appui
en complementarite avec les efforts qu'il deploie avec
Adama Samssekou l'ancien responsable de la preparation
et de la tenue du Sommet de Geneve sur le SMSI, les
deux reflechissent, debattent et proposent un cadre
legal adapte pour le partenariat MSP. Francis est
disponible pour aider a la traduction des messages
entre Français, Anglais et Espagnol.
Tenant compte de l'experience des groupes de
discussion fonctionnant, je propose qu'il y ait 3 ou 4
coordinateurs respectieux de la diversite regional et
du genre et eviter un plus grand nombre de
coordonateurs qui necessiterait la mise en place d'un
college de coordinateurs avec un president.
2. Apres avoir passe en revue des documents d'analyse
de la société civile, des rapports d'evaluation et des
prises de position de personnes ressources nous sommes
convaincus qu'il faille rester modestes et ouverts a
l'ensemble des suggestions et propositions et notre
souhait est d'impliquer aussi les porte paroles
d'Afrique et des PMA. A cet egard, Hashimoto du PNUD
semble etre a la recherche d'idees nouvelles porteuses
de contribution a la reforme souhaitable du Systeme
des nations unies et institutions de financement.
3. Partant du chapitre de la Declaration de la societe
civile sur le financement et les infrastructures, nous
pourrions prendre ces orientations comme point de
depart pour la formulation concertee d'un projet de
papier de contribution a la position de la societe
civile.
4. Il est programme un atelier de la societe civile le
18 novembre prochain a Berlin, la veille de la
rencontre du groupe de travail de l'ONU sur les TIC.
Ralph Bendrah (qui peut me corriger), se propose
d'aider à la preparation et a l'organisation des
contributions en ce domaine. Ce serait un effort
strategique d'articulation des efforts...
J'attends vos commentaires et vos conseils
Amities
Djilali

=====
Djilali Benamrane : dbenamrane at yahoo.com
Tél/Fax : (331) 01 45 39 77 02 Paris - France
Page web sur l'Afrique et la globalisation : http://www.multimania.com/djilalibenamrane/
Groupe de discussion: http://www.egroups.com/list/afriqueglobalization