[WSIS CS-Plenary] Quick notes from Geneva

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Sep 22 11:25:50 BST 2004

Il mer, 2004-09-22 alle 11:51, karen banks ha scritto:
> Yes - that is true, almost everyone did. But the real debate i think, will
> be which of these issues might be included in a working definition, and
> what mandate, if any, the WGIG would have to reommend/advocate policy
> change in the various bodies involved eg WTO, WIPO, ITU etc.

I liked Bertrand's idea of three baskets (issues that everyone thinks
the WGIG should deal with immediately, issues on which there is no
agreement, and issues everyone agrees should not be dealt with
immediately). I think we should push for a quick but open first phase in
which all proposed agenda items are collected, and then the WGIG divides
them in these categories.

> Many of the interventions acknowledging the need for a 'broad definition'
> also noted that the WGIG should only deal with issues in other spaces which
> are 'not being dealt with effectively'. And where they are not being dealt
> with effectively, what kind of changes could be recommended.

I remember someone (El Salvador?) noting that "yes, we should not fix
what is not broken, but first we should assess whether it is broken or
not". Apparently most people in the audience agreed with that.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu.org