[WSIS CS-Plenary] geneva

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang at imv.au.dk
Wed Sep 22 12:13:00 BST 2004

Dear all,

here some of my observations from the recent WGIG Meeting in Geneva

1. we made a great step forward with the multistakeholder approach.
While the participation of non governmental groups in the governmental
Internet Governance Working Group from PrepCom2 to PrepCom3bis++ was
blocked and we were moving through the revolving door, in the WGIG
meeting in Geneva it was taken for granted that governmental and
non-governmental speakers are communicating on the same level. When
Jeanette proposed the CS IG Caucus ideas about the composition of the
WGIG, it came along like a  "draft resolution" and it was treated by
governments as something like this. The Canadian government commented
on it and showed that serious proposals from non-governmental actors
are worth to be considered by governments. The same happened with ideas
like bill´s "Soft Power" and other proposal tabled by civil society
speakers. I think the meeting has helped to build new trust and it
reduced suspision - on both sides. Certainly, it was on procedures only
and it will look different if it comes to substance. But the first step
was in the right direction and it is always difficult to go back if all
agree that this was a positive experience. We should be thankful to
Kummer and Desai who has helped to make this happen. And it is also a
great step forward, the the CS IG Caucus has demonstrated visibly that
it is able to act and is united in its diversity. Regardless of all the
deficiencies and weaknesses (and the confrontational tone and
bitterness) we have seen over the last weeks on the list, the way how
Jeanette and Adam are guiding the process enables us to move forward.

2. the real conflicts are the same as they have been in December 2003.
No move.  And it is Chinese governments vs. US government. If you read
the statements of the two delegations, than you see the whole spectrum
of fundamental (political and philosophical) conflicts. There are some
interesting new nuances in the Chinese position, but not in the
substance. The Chinese government argues that private sector leadership
and self governance of the Internet was wonderful and great in the
early days of the Internet. Thanks to everybody who has contributed and
made this happen. But this was the past. Moving to the future, we need
now new innovations and their innovative proposal is that we have to
move from private sector leadership to governmental leadership with
(governmental controlled) participation of private industry and civil
society. As the "biggest problem of todays internet" she singled out
the "mjssing of a legitimate organisation under the UN". If this is
true, than WGIG is about the creation of a new UN Organisation? We
should not take this pill and try to bypass such a debate on new
hierarchies and burocracies. We should discuss the concrete issues and
look into the organisational options for each issue which would allow a
more diversified and pluralistic approach. What we have to contribute
as the caucus is that we need more innovative ideas which respect the
sovereignty of the hierarchical nation states and strengthens the
responsibility of governments, where needed, but keep the flexibility
of the network and its self-governenace elements where it makes sense
and is needed to stimulate innovation and development. And the
interests of the users should be in the center of all solutions.

3. There is a long way to go. In my optimistic scenario, WGIG will
produce a report which includes not more than
a. a map of issues
b. a map of institutions and
c. a SWOT analysis of different options and scenarios with descriptions
like "on the one hand" but "on the other hand". Recommendations will
say "some propose this" and "some propose that". But such a report
would be good,. It would enable WSIS II to negotiate a more specific
mandate for another group which could start to develop concrete
solutions for unsettled issues after WSIS II. This could be done also
in parallel with the transformation of ICANN to full independence
(ICANN 3.0) when the MoU with the DoC will terminate (November 2006) .
On the basis of recommendations of WGIG II to a WSIS III (somewhere
between 2007 and 2009) some real decisions, if needed, could be made.
Be patience. We are only on the eve of a new beginning.  .

Attached is my statement from Mondays afternoon session.

Best regards

Wolfgang