[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] geneva

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Sep 22 22:25:41 BST 2004

Wolfgang's comments here are (as usual) very perceptive and
I am glad he called attention to the Chinese statement (which
I, in haste, left out of my article)

I would simply like to point out that he may give it too optimistic a
spin. While we (CS) were accepted as commentors and contributors
to the session, there was in fact almost no support for the IGC
proposal for an equal division of CS, private sector and govts. It was
not only the traditionalist, developing country governments like China
that rebuffed us here, but especially the European Union and
Japan. The USA did not touch the issue, and neither did ICANN.
Both ISOC and ICANN failed to explicitly endorse the IGC process
proposal. I think that was definitely a mistake on the part of ISOC,
however, I can understand why a beleagured ICANN would not
want to risk antagonizing governments even further.

But, since Wolfgang was around in the darker days of the early
WSIS Prepcoms and I was not perhaps he sees what was accomplished as
significant progress.

--MM

>>> Wolfgang Kleinwächter <wolfgang at imv.au.dk> 09/22/04 07:13AM >>>
1. we made a great step forward with the multistakeholder approach.
While the participation of non governmental groups in the governmental
Internet Governance Working Group from PrepCom2 to PrepCom3bis++ was
blocked and we were moving through the revolving door, in the WGIG
meeting in Geneva it was taken for granted that governmental and
non-governmental speakers are communicating on the same level. When