[WSIS CS-Plenary] global alliance consultation, 11 April, United Nations, New York

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 5 17:44:24 BST 2005

What follows is the formal announcement of the global alliance
consultation taking place next monday in New York that I referred to in
a previous email.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

The United Nations Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
Task Force
ANNOUNCEMENT

The United Nations Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
Task Force will hold a civil society consultations meeting on April 11,
2005 at 10.00 am in Conference Room 5 (United Nations Headquarters), on
the concept of a Global Alliance on ICT for Development to seek views
of all stakeholders.

The United Nations Millennium Summit, the G8 Digital Opportunity Task
Force (DOT-Force), the United Nations ICT Task Force, the World Summit
on the Information Society (WSIS), and others, have launched a process
of bringing stakeholders from government, business and civil society
together for global policy debate on the Millennium Development Goals
and ICT policy and development. A truly effective and sustainable
collaboration among the principal stakeholders will be essential for
follow up after the completion of MS + 5 and WSIS-Tunis in 2005 if the
potential of ICT to promote development is to be effectively harnessed.
Recent discussions have reiterated the need to sustain and strengthen
substantive dialogue in a global, multi-stakeholder, open, inclusive
and transparent manner. The concept of an open, global platform has
been raised and the Secretary-General of the United Nations, endorsing
such a global networking approach, has asked the Task Force to develop,
in consultation with other stakeholders, concrete proposals for such an
alliance.

The briefing on April 11 is meant to engage participation of the civil
society in the debate on how should the Alliance operate at the global
and regional levels in order to make a useful contribution in the ICT4D
arena,  and will address issues and explore options regarding the
Alliance mission, modus operandi, membership, governance and funding.

The United Nations ICT Task Force provides overall leadership to the
United Nations role in helping to formulate strategies for the
development of information and communication technologies and putting
those technologies at the service of development. It was established by
the Secretary General to help identify ways to harness the potential of
ICT for economic and social development by promoting partnerships of
public, private, non-profit and civil society stakeholders.

For more information, please contact Ursula Germann at the Office for
ECOSOC Support and Coordination email: germann at un.org or tel.: (212)
963-4285.
For more information on the Global Alliance consultations please visit
the United Nations ICT Task Force at http://www.unicttaskforce.org

On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Rik Panganiban wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> My understanding is that the UN ICT Task Force is organizing a civil
> society consultation on the concept of a "Global Alliance on ICT
> Policy and Development" to take place at the United Nations on 11
> April in Conference Room 5 at 10am.
>
> You can also make your views known online at
> http://www.unicttf.org/perl/comments.pl?ot=document;oi=1443 .
>
> For more information, see the UN ICT Task Force website at
> http://www.unicttf.org/
>
> Rik Panganiban
> CONGO
>
> Chers Amis,
>
> J'ai entendu dire que l'UN ICT Task Force organise un consultation
> avec la societe civile sur le concept d'une "Alliance globale sur la
> politique et la developpement de TCI"  que sera a l'ONU en le 11
> Avril, salle de conference 5, a 10.00.
>
> Vous aussi pouvez ecrire vos idees et propositions a
> http://www.unicttf.org/perl/comments.pl?ot=document;oi=1443 .
>
> Pour plus d'information, regardez le site web de le UN ICT Task Force
> a http://www.unicttf.org/ .
>
> Rik Panganiban
> CONGO

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524