[WSIS CS-Plenary] ITID's The World Summit in Reflection

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Wed Apr 6 23:40:44 BST 2005

Here's a story:

I believe that this occurred at prepcom 2 of the first phase of WSIS.
At a Contents and Themes meeting (Rony was present, I believe), we
were reviewing language in one version of the draft declaration. The
majority of C&T interlocutors supported language that took
communication to be a public good that should not be prevented from
enhancing knowledges because of strict intellectual property laws and
policies. Someone from the International Publishers Association
(IPA). (I forget the person's name) was angered because he wanted to
protect the rights of "owners" of copyrighted material. He was in the
"creators and promoters of culture" family, which was one of several
venues for the private sector to insert itself into CS processes.
After the meeting, I asked him if we could talk for a bit, and he
agreed; I pointed out that, ironically, his position that the
creators of culture need to have their rights protected had the
potential to undermine the very industry that he represented (full
disclosure: he represents two of my publishers) because, if one wants
to be specific, publishers aren't creators of culture--authors are.
And, in most cases, authors are forced to sign contracts that gives
away their rights to their own work because that's the only way that
their work will ever see the light of day. My new friend from the IPA
agreed that this was indeed an issue, but he said that, in the long
run, the publishing industry would always win because authors don't
have many choices but to do business with the those who demand to
have copyright transferred to them; therefore, by taking a position
supporting the rights of creators of culture (and who doesn't?), he
could keep up appearances as a good citizen while not having to
suffer any real threats from authors.

Which all leads to what I think is an important point: What Lawrence
Lessig and Michael Gurstein are doing is sincerely admirable. But,
respectfully, I'd suggest that publishing in Open Archive journals
works for them because both have already achieved tenure and/or
promotion and a status in their respective fields that expands their
options. Michael, you are astute, and I would guess that you are
aware that, in publishing in Open archive journals, there is less
threat to you professionally-speaking than that which would be risked
by junior scholars who have not yet received tenure and/or promotion.
For the latter, the jewel in the crown is the established,
mainstream, usually organizationally-associated journals, almost all
of which are published  by publishers who demand that copyright be
reassigned to them. Through mergers and acquisitions, these
publishers are becoming an oligopoly. Open archive journals are still
viewed with a great deal of skepticism, at least in the US, when it
comes to having one's writing evaluated.

One reason why I mention this is that I know that not everyone on
this list is an academic or a writer who is looking for the broadest
audience possible and forced to conform to the notion of "legitimate"
publishing venues. As some others have mentioned, we need to help one
another understand things because we are a diverse lot. The other
reason is that I believe that we should fight for the idea of
communication as a public good in the broadest sense, and one way of
doing so is to fight for alternative methods of publishing, such as
Open Archive, as legitimate, regardless of the demands of the
institutions to which we are attached and the economic needs of the
mainstream publishing industry.

Best,

Lisa (in full disclosure: among other things, I'm editor of Feminist
Media Studies, which is owned by one of the behemoths of for-profit
journal publishing: Taylor and Francis Ltd; but, in my defense, I
signed the contract before my smaller, less oligopolistic publisher
was bought out by T&F:))