[WSIS CS-Plenary] ITID's The World Summit in Reflection

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Apr 6 23:43:27 BST 2005

Ah, more ideological bullying from our friends in the free software movement. Notice that we are not given an argument by Francis, we are given a "demand"  and urged to "denounce" those evil people who only put some, not all, of their journal contents on line.

I reject Francis's statement on grounds of civility, political philosophy, and logical consistency. I am frankly embrassed and disturbed by the obsequious responses it generated. Let me just inform Francis, and everyone else, that I for one am utterly unintimidated.

With respect to civility, this list purports to be a forum for global civil society. Therefore, no one has the right to assert their religion as a categorical, non-negotiable moral imperative that others must bow to without any justification. No more demands, no more "denouncing," please. Let's hear persuasion and let's see some respect for different points of view.

With respect to political philosophy, would someone please inform me as to when and where civil society decided that all attempts to sell books, journals, magazines, etc. are illegitimate? Will someone explain to me when and where _everyone_ who writes incurred a moral obligation to make the content universally available regardless of circumstances? Mike Gurstein at least provides an intelligible rationale for resisting certain limited aspects of the scholarly publication racket. But he proposes a constructive and focused approach - a choice to not put any of his own work into formats that are sold. Fine. I would make the same choice about 50% of the time, but see no categorical reason to do so all the time.

Third, I am always amused by the selectivity of these attacks. Like all political sects, they tend to direct their wrath at whoever is in closest proximity to them in a movement, not the real enemies. So the little ITID journal should be "denounced," but no such response was forthcoming when an article in the Economist Magazine was mentioned. Last I looked Economist does not put all its contents online for free. Or they attack Derrick Cogburn's attempts to include people in meetings using a proprietary collaborative software. Cogburn uses it because it is the best available tool and there are no open source substitutes. But Muguet always attempts to block it. Note that he doesn't try to get people to stop using the entire UN/ITU website because there are Adobe Acrobat and MS Word documents on it (proprietary software for which there are good open substitutes). On these transgressions of the religion, he is silent.

What accounts for the different treatment? Well, by denouncing and fighting others within the same movement for minor transgressions one builds power for one's sect. Focusing your energy on the real problems just means hard work. There is a certain mindset that finds it much more rewarding to denounce one's associates in the common work, thereby elevating oneself above him or her.

I must confess feeling a certain chill when reading this:

>This underline again the need of a structured CS, the
>necessity of a CTB, so that press releases, joint statement
>and editorial policies be clearly defined and followed.

Well. I have also argued for a more structured CS, but for me the point is that defined rules and process enable freedom and fair participation. This exchange also underlines the _dangers_ of a structured CS. Some people want to set themselves up as arbiters of what the rest of us can do and say.

--MM

>>> muguet at mdpi.org 4/6/2005 9:31:14 AM >>>

English / Français

Hello

A very short instantaneous reaction to be completed later.
The /Information Technologies and International Development/
published by the MIT and self-proclaimed (sic) as
"the premier journal in its field, focusing on the intersection of
information and
communication technologies (ICT) with international development."
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=7C409008-C83F-4C3F-A1F6-D823D264A7D7&ttype=4&tid=59
is not freely available online except for a few articles,
glamourously advertised as "Free articles".
The MIT press can do what they want, but this
The World Summit in Reflection: A Deliberative Dialogue on the WSIS
<http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=7C409008-C83F-4C3F-A1F6-D823D264A7D7&ttype=6&tid=15597>
is certainly not inclusive by nature,  and therefore
cannot certainly be recommended on this list, but denounced.

This issue illustrates how disorganized the WSIS Civil Society is,
that is not even able to follow the recommendations of
the Summit in favour of Open Access Publishing.
How the Civil Society might hope that governments
might follow the WSIS recommendations if the Civil Society
is not following them !

I urge all authors to demand from MIT press that
all their articles be freely accessible.

Best regards

Bonjour.

Une réaction instantanée et très courte qui sera complétée ultérieurement,
Le journal "Les technologies de l'information et le développement
international"
  par le MIT et auto-proclamé (sic ) comme "un journal de premiere
notoriété dans son domaine,
se concentrant sur l'intersection des technologies de l'information et
de communication (ICT)
avec le développement international."
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=7C409008-C83F-4C3F-A1F6-D823D264A7D7&ttype=4&tid=59
n'est pas librement accéssible en libre, sauf quelques articles
pompeusement mis en avant comme des articles publicitaires : "article
gratuits"
La MIT presse peut faire ce qu'elle veut, mais  certainement
"tLe sommet  mondial en réflexion : Un dialogue délibératif sur le SMSI"
n'est pas inclusif et donc  ne peut pas certainement être recommandé sur
cette liste,
mais au contraire être dénoncé.

Cet épisode illustre à quel point la société civile du SMSI est
désorganisée,
qui n'est  même pas capable de suivre les recommandations du sommet en
faveur
de la publication en libre accès.
Comment la société civile pourrait espérer que les gouvernements
puissent suivre
les recommandations de WSIS si la société civile ne les suit pas elle
même !

J'incite tous les auteurs des articles d'exiger de la MIT presse le
Libre Accès.

Ceci souligne encore une fois le besoin d'une SC structurée, la
nécessité d'un CTB,
de sorte que les politiques concernants communiqués de presse,
les proclamations communes et les politiques éditoriales soient
clairement définis
et suivies.

Cordialement

Francis

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
Associate Publisher
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

ENSTA   Paris, France
KNIS lab.  Director
"Knowledge Networks & Information Society" (KNIS)
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web