[WSIS CS-Plenary] ITU and open access recommendations of WSIS

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Thu Apr 7 08:45:06 BST 2005

dear parminder and all

I agree with you that ITU's case needs to be reviewed. Most of the UN
>organisations have book sale facilities, but at the same time, unlike ITU, a
>good amount of the titles are made available through websites as well,
>typical example UNESCO and World Bank. If we have to implement the POA text,
>ITU should open its repository of knowledge.

i'm interested in this particularly at the moment as the WGIG is finalising
the 'assessment' papers of existing governance mechanisms in respect the
'basket' of issues identified as important in the governance landscape.

there is one section on content accessibility and i would really appreciate
more/additional factual comments as regards the extent to which
organisations - particularly UN agencies, make their content available, and
under what circumstances - but also, interested in government policies that
promote open access models..

would need this pretty quickly though.. and, the info needs to be as brief
and succinct as possible..

karen