[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] ICANN/ITU "legitimacy"

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Apr 11 14:02:29 BST 2005

Il giorno lun, 11-04-2005 alle 09:00 +0300, McTim ha scritto:
> > telephone company is. It's crazy. You can get an unlisted phone number
> > for your home. Why can't you get a domain name for home use without
> > publishing your private contact data?
>
> Well, you can, you just have to lie ;-)

No, you can't. If you provide false data and someone complains, your
domain gets quickly cancelled.

On the other hand, if you had a way to prevent your data from being
spread out to everyone without care, you would be much more likely to
provide true data, and thus to be contactable when necessary. Actually,
the present situation makes Whois hard to use - if you send a message to
the email address listed in Whois, it often happens that it doesn't get
read because 99% of what's sent to that address is spam.

> Does the public benefit outweigh the possible downside to publication.
> IMHO, it probably does.

Unfortunately, that's not what the law says in my country.