[WSIS CS-Plenary] Collaboration software debate

Derrick L.Cogburn dcogburn at syr.edu
Tue Apr 12 12:44:31 BST 2005

Tracey,

I have promised myself to stay out of these discussions, but again, a
comment has drawn me out.  Surely the deciding factor could not have
been the linguistic/translation issues.  As you know, I had already
promised to take up the offer from ICV who provided simultaneous and
sequential translation for the Cape Town meeting that we would explore
how to provide translation in an online session (in fact, I was quite
excited about confronting this challenge).  The translators were also
excited about this possibility and I clearly articulated that we would
be exploring immediately how to handle this.  I also provided examples
of how I have handled the "disability" issue in some of my advanced
graduate seminars, where we have had, for example, deaf students
participate actively using this type of software.  Also, everyone
should know that I tried for over a year, expending my own resources,
to try to assist both the CS in general, and the CSB in particular with
its distributed collaboration practices.  My first proposal was to the
CSB at PrepCom III for WSIS Geneva.  Since that time, I believe that I
addressed every issue/challenge, save one, raised by the participants.
If that remaining issue could be addressed at this time, I would.

Cheers,
Derrick

Derrick L. Cogburn, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
School of Information Studies
and Senior Research Associate
Moynihan Institute of Global Affairs
Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs
Syracuse University
311 Hinds Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244-4100
Phone: +1.315.443.5441