[WSIS CS-Plenary] Collaboration software debate

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Wed Apr 13 12:05:01 BST 2005

 || On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:38:21 +0200
 || Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu.org> wrote:

 vb> Uhm... where exactly did I say that I disagree or that, if I did,
 vb> I would do so because I despise ideological reasons?

I am sorry if I misunderstood you.

Indeed I had the impression that you felt it a sensible activity to
start using proprietary software for video conferencing. Thank you for
clarifying that you indeed did not mean to express that opinion.

 vb> I think that no one disagrees with the idea that you should
 vb> practice what you preach. I think that some people just think
 vb> that, while you build your perfect world in which all your
 vb> principles will be reflected, you have to accept some compromises
 vb> when the deviation in practice from the principles is neglectible
 vb> in comparison to the advantage that is got by such deviation.

That is why I was asking whether exclusion of people using Free
Software and those from the South was considered an acceptable
compromise for which the benefits outweigh the costs.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve at fsfeurope.org>