[WSIS CS-Plenary] Collaboration software debate

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Wed Apr 13 19:22:09 BST 2005

Federico Heinz wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 21:43 -0500, Taran Rampersad wrote:
>

>>[lots of stuff about "rapid prototyping" and "requirements"]
>>

>All of this is irrelevant to my point that conferencing tools may be
>"cool" but hardly necessary, and in fact preclude the participation of
>people without broadband access and fast computers. If people want to
>play with fancy expensive toys, by all means, go ahead and do it. Just
>don't move part of the debate to it, because you are preventing others
>from participating.
>

>>Like it or not, we have to get things done despite agendas. While some
>>are busy being uncompromising - on both sides - the problems aren't
>>being solved.
>>

>Exactly which *problem* is not being solved? Where is the *need*?
>
>The Internet itself was built with text-based communications. The whole
>body of free software was built using not more than text-based
>communications. Is what we are attempting to do here so much more
>complex that it can't be done in a well-tested, time-proven way that is
>much more widely available than the proposed alternative?
>
>I understand the WGIG used this kind of tools, and had several
>face-to-face meetings... and nonetheless the quality of its output was
>miserable.
>
>Technology should be used wherever there is a concrete problem that it
>can help solve. I still don't see any problem in need of a technological
>solution here.
>
>	Fede

Again, I cannot explain software engineering to you within the limited
time constraints of my schedule - and therefore, I must apologize. I
also cannot explain usability to you. What I can do is tell you that I
disagree with the perspective you present vehemently. I can live with
such a disagreement.

I am of the opinion that technology should not dictate what people do,
but that people should dictate what technology does. This means that the
likes and dislikes of many people must be tolerated at the least, and at
best expected. That means that there must be respect for other people
and their wants and needs, even if they do not coincide with your own.

Most people in Civil Society do not appear to be able to handle posting
to a weblog - even caucuses with members of software foundations
involved. For some, email is difficult. But at least they are here, and
I think that working with people should be the priority - and using
technology to do so as a tool, not a battleflag for an ideology. And I
say that as a member of the Free Software Foundation - and anyone within
the FSF who has a problem with that can send me back my money instead of
arguing with me.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Esteli, Nicaragua