[WSIS CS-Plenary] Collaboration software debate

Federico Heinz fheinz at vialibre.org.ar
Thu Apr 14 01:01:08 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:22 -0500, Taran Rampersad wrote:
> Who are you representing here, Federico?

I am a member of this caucus, concerned that the fascination with cool
new toys may be causing some fellow caucus members lose sight of how bad
an idea it is to move part of the debate to a realm in which people
without broadband and fat machines cannot participate.

> If you don't see a need for software, then I don't see the need for
> this discussion to continue

You continue to ignore the issue, and I'm starting to hope that you are
doing it deliberately, because I'm running out of ways to explain it to
you. Certainly there are people and circumstances for which such
software would be useful. I'm just pointing out that the use of this
kind of tool for CS caucus' purposes would be a mistake, because it will
exclude people which could very well participate using the current
tools.

> It's apparent to me that there is a need for software for
> online collaboration which meets the needs of the Civil Society plenary,
> and there has been such a need.

Great! If it is so apparent to you, then it will be very easy for you to
substantiate this need. Please, do tell us.

	Fede

--
GnuPG Public Key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-key BD02C6E0
Key Fingerprint: 04F4 08C5 14B7 2C3D DB21  ACF8 6CF5 0B0C BD02 C6E0