[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG

Jacqueline Morris jacqueline.morris at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:01:57 BST 2005

Just one quick point - there may be a language issue here, but the
WGIG does not refer  to "layers" but "clusters" of issues. There has
never been a "decision to invent one that is
not coherently based on technical, legal, or any other known
structural principle"
The clusters are groupings of issues based on the following:

1.	Issues relating to infrastructural issues and the management of
critical Internet resources, including administration of the domain
name system and IP addresses, administration of the Root server
system, technical standards, peering and inter-connection,
telecommunications infrastructure including innovative and con-verged
technologies, as well as multilingualization.  These issues are
matters of direct relevance to Internet Governance falling within the
ambit of existing organisations with responsibility for these matters.

Issues:

(a)	Physical and Secured infrastructure
•	Telecommunications infrastructure, broadband access
•	VoIP
•	Peering and interconnection
•	Spectrum policy
•	Technical standards

(b)	Logical infrastructure
•	Administration of Internet names
•	Administration of IP addresses
•	Administration of root server system
•	Multilingualization of Internet naming systems

2.	Issues relating to the use of the Internet, including spam, network
security, and cybercrime.  While these issues are directly related to
Internet Governance, the nature of global cooperation required is not
well defined.

Issues:
•	Spam
•	Cybersecurity, cybercrime
•	Security of network and information systems
•	Critical infrastructure protection
•	Applicable jurisdiction, cross border coordination
•	Exemption for ISPs of third party liabilities
•	National policies & regulations

3.	Issues which are relevant to the Internet, but with impact much
wider than the Internet, where there are existing organisations
responsible for these issues, such as IPR or international trade. The
WGIG started examining the extent to which these matters are being
handled consistently with the Declaration of Principles.

Issues:
•	Competition policy, liberalization, privatization, regulations
•	Consumer, user protection, privacy
•	Electronic authentication
•	Unlawful content and practices
•	Access protection
•	Intellectual property rights
•	Dispute resolution
•	E-commerce and taxation of e-commerce
•	E-Government and privacy
•	Freedom of information and media

4.	Issues relating to developmental aspects of Internet governance, in
particular capacity building in developing countries, gender issues
and other access concerns.

Issues:
•	Affordable & universal access
•	Education, human capacity building