[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Sat Apr 23 01:40:34 BST 2005

On April 22, 2005 08:01 am, Jacqueline Morris wrote:

> 1.	Issues relating to infrastructural issues and the management of
> critical Internet resources, including administration of the domain
> name system and IP addresses, administration of the Root server
> system, technical standards, peering and inter-connection,
> telecommunications infrastructure including innovative and con-verged
> technologies, as well as multilingualization.  These issues are
> matters of direct relevance to Internet Governance falling within the
> ambit of existing organisations with responsibility for these matters.

I disagree with your statement above which claims the dns, root and IP
addresses are under anyones administration.  The existing administration is
fictitional and based on the relationships established during the original
experiment which created the internet.

The existing administration is also subject to consent.  They can be easily
dismissed.

Ultimate control of the DNS resides with end users and ISPs.  They are the
stakeholders who decide the root they see.

IP addresses are under the control of organizations subject to national law.
They registries have no control over IP numbers except to administer a
database.  IP numbers can be nationalized if a country so deems it necessary.
Routing of IP is under the control of ISPs and backbone providers who must
obey the local laws.

Roots are everybodies business.  DNS and root services provide the most
important aspect of internet infrstructure.  Almost everything you do is DNS
based.  You want security - you want fast uninterrupted service - you run a
root mirror for your organization or ISP.

regards
joe baptista
www.joebaptista.com