[WSIS CS-Plenary] General Applicability of Open Source Methods

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Apr 25 21:05:12 BST 2005

WJM forwarded:
> This open and collaborative approach to creating knowledge has produced
> remarkable results, such as the Linux operating system and the web-based
> encyclopaedia Wikipedia. In defiance of the conventional wisdom of
> modern business, open source methods have led the main underlying
> innovations around the Internet.

Lest anyone forget, neither Wikipedia nor the IETF RFCs are open
source in the full sense yet. Wikipedia has restrictions on
what devices you can distribute it to (amongst other things)
and the IETF standards (which drive the Internet) are mostly not
modifiable for purposes outside the IETF processes. I remain
hopeful that both will be repaired before it's a problem.