[WSIS CS-Plenary] May 2nd Consultation - bases covered

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Sat Apr 30 18:16:18 BST 2005

Caríssimo Jean-Louis,

We all absolutely agree with that. I am sure you all will (as we are
trying to do at the WGIG with all our imperfections) do your best. Has
anyone put this in doubt? I did not see any message from CS people even
remotely raising any suspicions.

abraços fraternos

--c.a.

Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:

> It is somehow curious (even offending) to suspect CS members whose
> names are perfectly known and who are invited to an "informal meeting"
> on a hypofhetical follow-up of the WSIS process. What crime can they
> commit ? As far as I remember, those CS members sitting in the very
> official WGIG weren't supected at the same extent and up to now I
> still ignore WHO is representing the CS in this official and important
> body. The same applies for the TFFM where some so-called CS members
> were sitting for some months without any report to the CS on what was
> discussed "inside".
>
> So, please, let us attend this meeting freely, and we will do our best
> not to compromise by any manner the CS community. Moreover, we will
> tell you briefly what was discussed there and what's on stake.
>
> Is this clear enough for anybody, or do you need some additionnel
> commitments ? (Please read my previous mails to know what will be my
> behaviour and what I'm intending to tell there).
>
> Jean-Louis Fullsack
>
> CSDPTT - France
>

>     > Message du 30/04/05 01:58
>     > De : "Dr. Francis MUGUET"
>     > A : plenary at wsis-cs.org
>     > Copie à :
>     > Objet : Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] May 2nd Consultation - bases covered
>     >
>     > Hello
>     >
>     > >Perhaps someone among those CS people who will be present could be
>     > >tasked with reading a short statement that remarks that civil
>     society
>     > >attendants, having been selected by the organizers, do not
>     constitute a
>     > >representative sample
>     > >
>     > ( In statistics, a representative sample must be perfectly
>     random, just
>     > a joke, it not
>     > not representative in any sense, legal or statistical, I would
>     agree )
>     >
>     > >of civil society stakeholders at WSIS, and only
>     > >speak for themselves and their own organizations,
>     > >
>     > I fully agree, furthermore for full clarity, it must be
>     underlined that
>     > participants
>     > can speak as individuals being coordinator or member of such and
>     such CS
>     > grouping,
>     > but not in the name of such groupings, unless a debate
>     > has been carried out before, which was not possible.
>     >
>     > Of course, participants can read a statement that could express the
>     > opinion that is obviously shared by the whole civil society about
>     > this non-inclusive process.
>     > Since it is a procedural issue, the best person to draft and
>     > to read a strong message to the ITU board, is in my opinion, Renate,
>     > who was elected, during the last PrepCom2,
> [...]

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br