[WSIS CS-Plenary] summit - expectations - who's coming...

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sat Apr 30 19:38:31 BST 2005

Hi all

I share Robert's cautiousness. I attended a Council of Europe meeting
on April 6-7, where Mr Geiger has been invited to provide the audience
with news about WSIS and the summit organization. Recalling that only
44 heads of States and heads of governments attented Geneva Summit, Mr
Geiger informed us that the Tunisian authorities were expecting (at
that time) the attendance of 50 to 60 heads of states and of
governments, and were very much hoping a good representation of
northern countries.

I see that the level of expectations has been raising (i.e. has
tripled) between early April and mid-April, when Francis visited Tunis
and got this new information. This taking into account that when the
invitation of Ariel Sharon, Israel Prime minister, has been disclosed -
which has led to many street demonstrations and repression in Tunisia -
the Tunisian authorities said that about 120 invitations have been sent
to heads of States/governments. This means that even non directly
invited heads of states/governments are planning to attend. Good
achievement indeed.

There are other detailed information in Francis message forwarded by
Rik (thanks for that, Rik, and BTW, Francis, was this visit officially
related to WSIS ? I'm certainly not willing to ask private questions
about your agenda:), but just wanting to know if some WSIS CS people
were invited there.

This detailed information relates to the organization. I noticed that
almost all Tunis hotels are said to be already booked, that 18.000
participants have already registered (these people are really far
sighted, specially since - correct me if I'm wrong, registration forms
for the summit are not yet available. They also are rich, if they made
hotel reservation through the hotels proposed at www.smsitunis2005.tn)
and I'm pleased to learn where the US delegation will stay. However, I
see that this leads the organizers to envisage the accomodation of
other participants in Hammamet and to bus them daily. Although Tunisia
is not so large, and the distance between Tunis and Hammamet is only
about 60km, I see this situation would really be a problem for people
lodging in Hammamet to fully be able to decide by themselves of where
and when they're willing to go.

Best,
Meryem